Crosby on Philly paper’s ‘Cowardly Penguin’ cover: “That’s one of the nicer things they’ve said about me”
Apr 18, 2012, 2:12 PM EDT
Just in case you haven’t seen the Philadelphia Daily News’ attempt to poke the bear (or lion…or penguin…whatever):
As for ‘Sniveling Sidney’? He took the front page in stride.
“That’s one of the nicer things they’ve said about me here,” Crosby said.
It was a fairly lighthearted response from No. 87 — but when the conversation turned towards tonight’s elimination contest at the Wells Fargo Center, he got serious.
On the verge of being swept out of the playoffs for the first time in his NHL career, the Penguins captain said it was time to forget about distractions and focus solely on the task at hand.
“I don’t think there’s anything that really needs to be said at this point,” Crosby explained. “All the talking’s been done. Now we have to go out and play.”
Logical approach, but simply “going out and playing” will be tough. The Penguins will be without four regulars — James Neal, Arron Asham and Craig Adams are suspended, Paul Martin has an undisclosed lower-body injury — meaning a pair of minor-leaguers (Eric Tangradi, Simon Despres) will be thrown into a hostile playoff environment.
There’s also the not-so-tiny fact that Pittsburgh’s defense has shown all the resistance of a wet paper bag, and the fact 50-goal man Evgeni Malkin has yet to find the back of the net. That, combined with the loss of Neal, could have the Pens struggling to put pucks in the net tonight — something Crosby’s aware of.
“We’re more than capable of providing offense here in the absence of [Neal] for one game,” he said. “I just want to continue to go to the net. At this time of year, that’s where pucks are going to be.”
More: Here’s CSN Philadelphia’s Lisa Hillary asking Crosby about the Daily News cover.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 41
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)