Crosby on Philly paper’s ‘Cowardly Penguin’ cover: “That’s one of the nicer things they’ve said about me”

Apr 18, 2012, 2:12 PM EDT

Just in case you haven’t seen the Philadelphia Daily News’ attempt to poke the bear (or lion…or penguin…whatever):

dailynewscrosby

As for ‘Sniveling Sidney’? He took the front page in stride.

“That’s one of the nicer things they’ve said about me here,” Crosby said.

It was a fairly lighthearted response from No. 87 — but when the conversation turned towards tonight’s elimination contest at the Wells Fargo Center, he got serious.

On the verge of being swept out of the playoffs for the first time in his NHL career, the Penguins captain said it was time to forget about distractions and focus solely on the task at hand.

“I don’t think there’s anything that really needs to be said at this point,” Crosby explained. “All the talking’s been done. Now we have to go out and play.”

Logical approach, but simply “going out and playing” will be tough. The Penguins will be without four regulars — James Neal, Arron Asham and Craig Adams are suspended, Paul Martin has an undisclosed lower-body injury — meaning a pair of minor-leaguers (Eric Tangradi, Simon Despres) will be thrown into a hostile playoff environment.

There’s also the not-so-tiny fact that Pittsburgh’s defense has shown all the resistance of a wet paper bag, and the fact 50-goal man Evgeni Malkin has yet to find the back of the net. That, combined with the loss of Neal, could have the Pens struggling to put pucks in the net tonight — something Crosby’s aware of.

“We’re more than capable of providing offense here in the absence of [Neal] for one game,” he said. “I just want to continue to go to the net. At this time of year, that’s where pucks are going to be.”

More: Here’s CSN Philadelphia’s Lisa Hillary asking Crosby about the Daily News cover.

1. pens5829 - Apr 18, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Stay classy Filthy!

• chaser44 - Apr 18, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Pretty sure Shytesburgh is the city consistantly rated in the top 3 of dirtiest in the country, so the “filthy” nickname really applies to you and the dirty play of your team.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Apr 18, 2012 at 2:28 PM

This.

• miketoasty - Apr 18, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Actually no, although we have been rated #1 place to live for a couple years now.

• hystoracle - Apr 18, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Then why does everyone in Pittsburgh moves to Florida?

• hystoracle - Apr 18, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Then why does everyone in Pittsburgh move to Florida?

• emoser - Apr 18, 2012 at 3:02 PM

It’s a top place to live (ranked by a magazine, mind you) mostly because everything there including housing is dirt cheap. This is also different from being ranked one of the dirtiest, as it has been. But most people from Pittsburgh use the excuse that “it’s the wind coming over from Ohio.” Right.

• miketoasty - Apr 18, 2012 at 3:09 PM

@hystoracle That would be because of the weather, most people don’t like the cold. Pretty common sense actually.

@emoser Maybe in the ’70′s it was dirty due to the area’s large amount of coal being produced but the city has cleaned up dramatically since then. Oh and cheap things make life more “livable” so yea that makes sense.

• emoser - Apr 18, 2012 at 3:31 PM

No, it was recent. Honestly I really don’t care though. I never understood why people from Pittsburgh and Baltimore get such an inferiority complex over their cities. Do you really care what some random person on a message board thinks about it?

• philsbirdsflyers - Apr 18, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Stay original.

2. lasallehockey81 - Apr 18, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Nothing classier than getting 3 guys suspended in a loss….

• miketoasty - Apr 18, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Nothing more depressing than having the second longest cup drought in the entire league.

• lasallehockey81 - Apr 18, 2012 at 2:40 PM

There actually is something more depressing..and that would be having the longest drought. So, your argument sucks…

I love the “cup drought” argument.. as always, means that your current Pens squad is choking.. hard… MVP and best player in the world and you’re about to get swept in the first round.. to a team with a long Cup drought. That must be depressing.

• bennywisest - Apr 18, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Wait isn’t the most depressing thing having such a terrible fairweather fanbase that your team almost folds or leaves town 5 seperate times?

• miketoasty - Apr 18, 2012 at 2:52 PM

@lasallehockey81 No what that means is that in my lifetime I actually got to see my team hoist the cup, unlike most likely 80% of Flyers fans who weren’t even born then.

@bennywisest But, it didn’t fold, nor leave town, so no it doesn’t really suck. I mean at least I got to actually have the cup in my home town and stand next to it.

• maalea - Apr 18, 2012 at 2:55 PM

I would think it must be very depressing to root for a team that has been to the finals only 4 times in it’s history.

• bennywisest - Apr 18, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Correct @miketoasty but only thanks to Mario Lemiux and the Governor of PA at the time Ed Rendell (former mayor of Philadelphia).

• lasallehockey81 - Apr 18, 2012 at 3:01 PM

I know what winning the Cup means, genius… so I can comprehend what it looked like…Thanks

What I said was, when you have to dig up the “you havent won a cup in ___ years” argument and live in the past, it means YOUR PRESENT team’s situation sucks… and down 0-3 to the Philadelphia Flyers when you have the two best players in the world, were picked to win the Cup THIS year…That present situation sure does suck….. none of that is up for debate… Enjoy that memory.. probably wont be happening THIS year…

• hystoracle - Apr 18, 2012 at 3:02 PM

It is too bad the Banners can;t come out of the rafters to play for the Pens. They could use all the help they can get right now. Habs have won 24 cups. None of those have helped them much the past 20 years.

Right now your Pens are getting beat by the Flyers. If the Pens can stay away from the silly stuff, get back to playing defensively sound hockey, and stay out of the Penalty box they will beat Philly tonight. Otherwise it will be a long summer in Pittsburgh..

• ndrdog - Apr 18, 2012 at 3:19 PM

I’m sorry, did I miss something? Did the Cryers suddenly win more Stanley Cups or do they still have ONLY 2 which is less than the Pittsburgh Penguins. Scoreboard!

• lasallehockey81 - Apr 18, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Ndrdog… thanks for making my point for me!

• biasedhomer - Apr 18, 2012 at 3:29 PM

you got burned!!

• miketoasty - Apr 18, 2012 at 3:35 PM

@lasallehockey81 Two best players in the league, one of the best defensive centers, one of the best defenseman, all entering their prime? Okay, take the cup this year, I will enjoy my stacked team for the next couple of years.

• lasallehockey81 - Apr 18, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Flyers, 6th youngest team in the NHL with a GM who has proven he knows what he’s doing…a 19 year old rookie who shut down your Hart Trophy winner….The leading goal scoring rookie in the NHL this year in Matt Read. Claude Giroux is 23 years old. Dont forget JVR, a 23 year old 2nd pick in the draft, has had a rough injury filled year this year and hasnt seen the ice in the playoffs yet. Brayden Schenn, 20, the #1 prospect in hockey who had 3 points in his first NHL playoff game, the first time a Flyer rookie did that since 68.

Flyers rookies scored 64 goals and 128 points… #1 by far in the NHL and helped this team to a 3-0 lead over the Cup favorites with your two best players and best defenseman entering their primes. Scoring 20 goals in 3 games. You enjoy your “stacked” team for years… and so will we. Theyre not going anywhere, either.

3. nogoodtomedead - Apr 18, 2012 at 2:26 PM

When Crosby first came into the league he annoyed me a good bit. I did think he was a whiner and crowned too early. But frankly, he is one of the best players in the league, and when he was out with the concussion I was actually disappointed that I might miss out on his career, and I’m happy to see him back.

But the fact that Philadelphia hates him, and I find that city to have the most stereo-typically obnoxious loud-mouthed sports fans, makes me love Sidney Crosby. I know it won’t happen, but if the Penguins could come back from 3 down to win the series it would be like Christmas came early.

• miketoasty - Apr 18, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Wait someone that likes the Penguins? Oh you must be some classless hobo living on the street.

Seriously though, everything you said makes sense, and the Pens coming back would make a lot of people happy.

• barkar942 - Apr 18, 2012 at 3:17 PM

And the Mayan Armageddon is coming in December to an Earth near you!

4. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Apr 18, 2012 at 2:27 PM

The Pens need Crosby to be a world-class hockey player, not a punk, tonight. Philly knows that and will be doing their best to make him snap again. Should be interesting to watch.

• polegojim - Apr 18, 2012 at 6:17 PM

THAT 1943… is the BEST and most accurate comment on this thread!!!

Most are children arguing and insulting like grade-schoolers.

5. ironcity6pak - Apr 18, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Wouldn’t expect anything less from FILTHYDELPHIA. Pure scum…bags

• ematusko - Apr 18, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Says the guy who is named after a Pittsburgh brewery. I would assume he’s never taking the laborious trek east, away from his Fayette county nest. Having grown up in Philly, and lived even loner in Pittsburgh, I can tell you that Pittsburgh is just as scummy, but offers much less in the way of economical growth, and much worse weather. Philly MIGHT have more total scumbags, I guess, but the city is 5 times the size. @ironcity, get back to work. Mr Slate hates extended lunch breaks.

• mercyflush - Apr 18, 2012 at 3:35 PM

“Wouldn’t expect anything less from FILTHYDELPHIA. Pure scum…bags”

I love the whole FILTHYDELPHIA thing. If Pittsburgh was so great why is everyone leaving in droves?? Here is their population decrease… 2000-2010, −8.6%, meanwhile Philly increased population in the same decade.

Why? must be because Pittsburgh is a terrible city in which to live.

Philly might not be the cleanest city, but having a Pittsburghian call your city filthy is like having John Goodman make fun of you for your weight.

• miketoasty - Apr 18, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Actually no, a lot of the people who moved to Pittsburgh moved here in the 70′s during the coal era, now those people are retiring and moving to areas with warmer climates like most people do. But oh lets just jump to conclusions and assume we know what numbers mean.

• mercyflush - Apr 18, 2012 at 3:57 PM

ok…. my bad. here’s the population stats for the last 50 years…

1960 604,332 −10.7%
        1970 520,117 −13.9%
        1980 423,938 −18.5%
        1990 369,879 −12.8%
        2000 334,563 −9.5%
        2010 305,704 −8.6%

hmmm… kind of blows your theory out of the water. nice try though. But by all means keep ripping Philadelphia.

• ematusko - Apr 18, 2012 at 5:39 PM

@milktoasty, thanks for strengthening the argument, and bringing up another point. The city is very old, due to the fact that the economy has been in the toilet for years. Retires leaving is a by-product of not wanting to pay inflated state and property taxes for a city on the downside. Trust me on this. My 60-something parents still live there, for some reason. I was fortunate to be able to move to Philly.

• ematusko - Apr 18, 2012 at 5:44 PM

And another thing, if the city is so kick ass then how come they can’t retain graduates from stron/very strong academic institutions (Carnegie Mellon, Duquesne, Pitt, rmu, Carlow, Chatham)? And that’s just within the city limits! Keep up the pee pee envy, it’s doing wonders for your already fledgling image.

• crosberries - Apr 18, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Dumb poor people love to make babies. Philthy is full of them.

• ematusko - Apr 18, 2012 at 5:52 PM

So is Pittsburgh, even within the higher socio-economical areas. At least in Philly it’s mostly relegated to the real dirtbags.

6. flyguys10 - Apr 18, 2012 at 2:35 PM

It’s clear Lisa Hillary wants to sleep with Crosby.

• mercyflush - Apr 18, 2012 at 3:11 PM

she was gushing a little bit, huh?

and for the record, she looks much better with that hair color than blond.

7. myvickinabox14 - Apr 18, 2012 at 2:36 PM

I cannot wait for tonight!!! Call us whatever you want Pittsburg. It’s 3-0 and you have 3 people suspended. I am enjoying the hell outta this. Just wish I was on the east coast to enjoy it. It’s 75 and sunny here in SD. Maybe some of the penguins can come play a round of golf this weekend out here.

8. bloggersarenotjournalists - Apr 18, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Remember when newspapers had class and professionalism?

This is the Daily News, not the National Inquirer
    In 2012
    What’s the difference?

• lasallehockey81 - Apr 18, 2012 at 2:44 PM

The Philadelphia Inquirer is the newspaper… the Daily News is a tabloid…. Id think you know the difference since you obviously have an interest in journalism from your name, but look it up and you’ll understand why this cover is fitting for what type of paper they are….. I agree that its dumb and I”m from Phlly… but to bring up professionalism in regards to a tabloid paper is crazy…

• bloggersarenotjournalists - Apr 18, 2012 at 2:58 PM

No, I don’t live in Pennsylvania
        Should I know that “The Daily News” is a rag in Pennsylvania? The rest of the planets newpapers with the name “The Daily News” is usually legit. Even the Daily Bugle is more legit than most fish wrap these days.

• mercyflush - Apr 18, 2012 at 3:17 PM

The Philly Daily News is like the New York Post. Lots of ridiculous covers. Not a very serious paper.

The Inquirer doesnt use photoshop.

The Crosby thing was kind of funny I guess but not overly clever. They’ve had much better ones in the past… Like when Mike Vick was first named the starter over Kolb in 2010, they had a pic of Vick with the headline “Top Dog.” *That* one made me laugh out loud.

• lasallehockey81 - Apr 18, 2012 at 3:21 PM

You dont have to live in Pennsylvania to know about major market newspapers.. the Internet helps you with that and since you seem to be a fan of journalism, I didnt think it would be out of the question to know what those papers are famous for…

As for your claim about the rest of the Daily News being “legit”, you might want to look up the New York Daily News and their cover pages… its a very similar style to Philly’s…

• bloggersarenotjournalists - Apr 18, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Philly is not
        Is REPEAT

NOT
        A MAJOR NEW MARKET

LOL

Step outside your tiny bubble
        Philly….a major news market…LOL
        My God

• lasallehockey81 - Apr 18, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Well I hate to give you facts again to prove your statement 100% wrong.. but as of the end of 2011… Philadelphia ranks 4th in TV market size, behind only New York, LA and Chicago. In radio, they rank 8th…What does that mean? Well, clearly anything in the top 10 in market size would be considered a major market. Is that far enough outside my “tiny bubble” for you?

• mercyflush - Apr 18, 2012 at 4:04 PM

um… what? its the #6 media market in the country, douche,

• mercyflush - Apr 18, 2012 at 4:06 PM

the “douche” remark I made was @ bloggersarenotjournalists, not lasallehockey81.

• somekat - Apr 18, 2012 at 5:15 PM

First you call the Daily News a joke (It is, it is written on a 5th grade reading level for god’s sake), while knowing nothing about it. then tell them to “get out of their tiny bubble”, while using a screen name that obviously means you SHOULD have some knowledge of journalism practices. THEN proceed to call one of the biggest cities in the country not a major market?

You sir, are at best a clown

9. flyguys10 - Apr 18, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Does he always wear a hat and look down during interviews?

• barkar942 - Apr 18, 2012 at 3:21 PM

No, just in the last couple of days. He doesn’t want anyone to see how puffy his eyes are from crying over the last two days!

• miketoasty - Apr 18, 2012 at 3:40 PM

@flyguys10 Yes, that’s how he does all his interviews, and how he has been doing them for quite some time now.

And Barkar942, your so funny, been waiting all day to use that line?

10. mmmpierogi - Apr 18, 2012 at 2:44 PM

As a Pens fan, seeing Paul Martin out is a good thing. Dude has not been playing well this series. I’ll definitely take Tangradi and Despres at this point, although it’s getting a little late.

• miketoasty - Apr 18, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Have to agree with you here, I really hope the Pens move Martin over the summer for a 2nd or 3rd line winger and just have Despres play full time with the Pens.

• psujay - Apr 18, 2012 at 4:11 PM

A second or third line winger for Paul Martin and his $5M contract till like 2016? Yea, good luck with that.

11. mclovinhockey - Apr 18, 2012 at 3:24 PM

I said this when New York and Chicago did similar things by putting victirno and pronger in skirts, stupid move. The daily news lost all it’s credibility. Idiotic, but pens fans calling Philly classless is funny, they are so classless and Pitt is a much dirtier city.

• somekat - Apr 18, 2012 at 5:17 PM

the daily news did not lose any credibility. It needs to have it in order to lose it

12. mclovinhockey - Apr 18, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Ndrdog, you have 1 more cup, and that’s because of a rigged draft lotto and some huge favoritism in calls, you really want to go down that path?

• miketoasty - Apr 18, 2012 at 3:30 PM

That depends, are you going to keep whining about a “rigged” lottery, and “huge favoritism” calls because if so I will need to step out of the office so I can laugh my ass off at how desperate you sound.

13. mojosmagic - Apr 18, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Sid is off to see the wonderful wizard of Oz and the Flyers are off to the next round.

• miketoasty - Apr 18, 2012 at 3:42 PM

I guess you have never heard of a comeback? Not saying the Pens are going to take four in a row but you Flyers fans are awfully cocky for not winning anything for a hell of a long time now.

• kellyb9 - Apr 18, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Most Pens fans were talking about winning the Stanley Cup halfway through the season. By comparison, all we’re bragging about is going to the next round. Either way, I’ll take my chances that Philly can win one game out of the next four against a team that has never beaten them at home in a meaningful game in the last two years.

14. waraggie - Apr 18, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Philly and Pittsburgh fans arguing over whose city is worse is like Paris Hilton and Pam Anderson arguing over who is a bigger whore…The answer is both are but I’d still hit it and would probably live in either city if the right opportunity presented itself. Maybe the Daily News will pay me good money to photoshop a pair of skates on the cowardly lion too….

15. penzfan329 - Apr 18, 2012 at 3:47 PM

@lasallehockey81. so your saying crosby and malkin are the best in the world?
    on another note who gives a crap what city is better ranked by some stupid magazine. GROW UP!

• lasallehockey81 - Apr 18, 2012 at 4:13 PM

@Penzfan What I said was in reply to someone who made those points BEFORE me, I was just responding to what the Penguin fan said… he brought up both of those points… its called a conversation.. you might want to try following it so you dont make yourself look like a fool. Good Luck!

16. thehighcountrybear - Apr 18, 2012 at 3:59 PM

This kind of thing is opportunistic garbage…the sort of thing propagated by some pencil neck who’s never strapped on the pads! Is this rag owned by Rupert Murdoch one is left to ask? There’s nothing worse than journalistic parasites who feed off the game at every level, asking inane, pointless and repetitive questions during interviews then following civil and gracious response from players weary of the stupidity, with personal attacks after the fact. What, players can’t be human and make the occasional mistake in the heat of battle…? Worse still for Flyers, these sort of secondary influences serve as massive motivators to the wronged player and team. Back in 2002 the Canucks won the first two games of a series with the Wings, returned home with great expectations, but the Wings were escorted in from the airport by two bus loads of crazed Canucks supporters waving brooms…boom, boom, four straight for Wings who never looked back. Look for Penguins to rally behind Sidney, look for this article to be a defining moment in a Penguins rally, look for Flyers to rue the day the piss ant smearing Sidney opened up his copy of photoshop…

• mercyflush - Apr 18, 2012 at 4:16 PM

relax my man. if the penguins aren’t motivated enough for tonight’s game, some dumb newspaper cover isnt gonna push them over the top.

There are serious newspapers and there are tabloids, everywhere in the country. The Inquirer is the serious one. The Daily News is the tabloid, and makes no apologies. If you don’t like it, don’t read it.

If you’re a Pens fan, you’re belittling Crosby to say that this cover will be motivation for him or the Penguins. He’s motivated to win because he’s a great player. The Pens are motivated because they are professionals, playing in the playoffs. This cover and stuff of the same ilk are all nonsense that has a negligible effect on the game. I’m a Flyers fan but I respect Crosby’s talent, work ethic, results etc. I could do without the theatrics but I admit they are overblown in general (game 3 notwithstanding). If the Pens come back to win, it wont be because of the freaking Cowardly Lion photoshop.

17. philly4lyfe - Apr 18, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Remember at the beginning of this series when bylsma said everyone calling sid a whiner and dirty player was going to backfire on us because it would motivate him and we won’t like him when he’s angry? Lol bet he wishes he could have that one back.

18. thehighcountrybear - Apr 18, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Yeah…so why we’re Penguins not motivated in games one through three. They’ve been complacent, scattered, and poorly prepared throughout…seemingly content to sit on their over-blown press. Walk into the Penguins dressing room, check out the bulletin board…if that article isn’t posted, Bylsma should be shopping for work as early as next week. When a team is lacking motivation as the Penguins clearly are, every shred of propaganda is properly exploited in the cause of motivation! It’s remarkably naive to suggest the contrary, more so if you’ve actually played league hockey at any level…

19. sjsharksfan11 - Apr 18, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Enjoy the golf course and watching the Flyers potentially win the Cup Crosbaby

• aglumac - Apr 18, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Ya cause a goalie and a team that give up 4 goals a game on average and consitently fall behind looks prime for a cup run. You guys have almost won one series, against a team that has almost done as much if not more to beat itself than you have, you will be golfing a week later at best, and only won team wins the cup, the rest are all losers, but it will give Philly fans maybe another week to go on msg boards and talk smack like figured out cold fusion.

20. kingjoe1 - Apr 18, 2012 at 6:08 PM

As a lifelong Flyers fan and Philly resident I have to say that what these fish wrappers have printed on the cover doesn’t mean anything or represents Flyers fans. The paper is a joke of a paper, whose style went out 30 years ago. They write inflammatory stories all the time, not because someone supports the idea, but the editor simply wants to draw attention to this dinosaur.

21. capsfan19 - Apr 18, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Did i really just read a population statistic in this thread??? Ha ha ha ovi>cindy. Bam i said it!! Eat that pittsburgh!

22. pens5829 - Apr 18, 2012 at 9:44 PM

The Cowardly Penguin just threw up three goals in 20 minutes???

Detroit must exploit Boston's young D