Apr 18, 2012, 12:46 PM EDT
While many fans and media alike are concerned with the dirty hits and suspendable offenses that have gone on in the first week of the playoffs, Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke can’t be bothered with all that while there’s hockey being played.
Burke tells Kevin Allen of USA Today that the coverage given to violent plays that have resulted in injuries and suspensions is overblown. Burke gives Allen his take on things in only the kind of way he can.
“This is like people complaining about the rain at Woodstock,” Burke said. “Yes, there was lots of mud, but it was the greatest music gathering in history.”
As for the legitimately dirty plays like Raffi Torres‘ hit on Marian Hossa, Burke tells Allen that vigilance is the best way to combat the problem and get back to watching the playoffs the way they’re meant to be seen.
“I hope we continue to nail the people who are crossing the line,” Burke said. “But this is a small number of incidents, and it’s unfortunate that non-hockey media is focusing on that. But what I see is great hockey. It’s awesome.”
A “small number of incidents” in this case is seven suspensions doled out over the first seven days of the playoffs and that’s before Torres gets the book thrown at him in the coming days. Burke might want to believe that the game should be the main story, but the lack of common sense in punishment and the continued violence on the ice won’t get out of the way to allow it to be.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)