Apr 18, 2012, 12:46 PM EDT
While many fans and media alike are concerned with the dirty hits and suspendable offenses that have gone on in the first week of the playoffs, Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke can’t be bothered with all that while there’s hockey being played.
Burke tells Kevin Allen of USA Today that the coverage given to violent plays that have resulted in injuries and suspensions is overblown. Burke gives Allen his take on things in only the kind of way he can.
“This is like people complaining about the rain at Woodstock,” Burke said. “Yes, there was lots of mud, but it was the greatest music gathering in history.”
As for the legitimately dirty plays like Raffi Torres‘ hit on Marian Hossa, Burke tells Allen that vigilance is the best way to combat the problem and get back to watching the playoffs the way they’re meant to be seen.
“I hope we continue to nail the people who are crossing the line,” Burke said. “But this is a small number of incidents, and it’s unfortunate that non-hockey media is focusing on that. But what I see is great hockey. It’s awesome.”
A “small number of incidents” in this case is seven suspensions doled out over the first seven days of the playoffs and that’s before Torres gets the book thrown at him in the coming days. Burke might want to believe that the game should be the main story, but the lack of common sense in punishment and the continued violence on the ice won’t get out of the way to allow it to be.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)