Apr 18, 2012, 6:56 PM EDT
Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau thinks all the hubbub over dirty play is partly due to the way the NHL is covered in the internet age.
In an interview with CBC.ca, Boudreau says we’re hearing so much about hockey violence because we’re hearing so much about, well, everything.
“You can’t move without anything being reported, that’s why,” he said. “I mean if this was 1972 and they didn’t have cell phones or computers or anything else, you would’ve got a quick look on a highlight one night and that would’ve been it.”
Personally I think he makes a great point. People today are bombarded with information. No wonder things start looking like epidemics. It’s like how people think there’s more violent crime today than there was 20 years ago, even though it’s the opposite. It’s just we see so much more of it reported on TV and online.
The same holds true for the NHL. I mean, you can read blogs that touch on literally every hockey story that gets published. Over and over and over, and from every imaginable angle. It’s relentless. Should we be surprised at all the hysteria?
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 67
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)