Apr 18, 2012, 6:56 PM EST
Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau thinks all the hubbub over dirty play is partly due to the way the NHL is covered in the internet age.
In an interview with CBC.ca, Boudreau says we’re hearing so much about hockey violence because we’re hearing so much about, well, everything.
“You can’t move without anything being reported, that’s why,” he said. “I mean if this was 1972 and they didn’t have cell phones or computers or anything else, you would’ve got a quick look on a highlight one night and that would’ve been it.”
Personally I think he makes a great point. People today are bombarded with information. No wonder things start looking like epidemics. It’s like how people think there’s more violent crime today than there was 20 years ago, even though it’s the opposite. It’s just we see so much more of it reported on TV and online.
The same holds true for the NHL. I mean, you can read blogs that touch on literally every hockey story that gets published. Over and over and over, and from every imaginable angle. It’s relentless. Should we be surprised at all the hysteria?
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 7
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)