Apr 18, 2012, 6:56 PM EST
Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau thinks all the hubbub over dirty play is partly due to the way the NHL is covered in the internet age.
In an interview with CBC.ca, Boudreau says we’re hearing so much about hockey violence because we’re hearing so much about, well, everything.
“You can’t move without anything being reported, that’s why,” he said. “I mean if this was 1972 and they didn’t have cell phones or computers or anything else, you would’ve got a quick look on a highlight one night and that would’ve been it.”
Personally I think he makes a great point. People today are bombarded with information. No wonder things start looking like epidemics. It’s like how people think there’s more violent crime today than there was 20 years ago, even though it’s the opposite. It’s just we see so much more of it reported on TV and online.
The same holds true for the NHL. I mean, you can read blogs that touch on literally every hockey story that gets published. Over and over and over, and from every imaginable angle. It’s relentless. Should we be surprised at all the hysteria?
- Miller’s second straight shutout puts Canucks in NHL lead 15
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 3
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 25
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)