Apr 18, 2012, 6:56 PM EDT
Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau thinks all the hubbub over dirty play is partly due to the way the NHL is covered in the internet age.
In an interview with CBC.ca, Boudreau says we’re hearing so much about hockey violence because we’re hearing so much about, well, everything.
“You can’t move without anything being reported, that’s why,” he said. “I mean if this was 1972 and they didn’t have cell phones or computers or anything else, you would’ve got a quick look on a highlight one night and that would’ve been it.”
Personally I think he makes a great point. People today are bombarded with information. No wonder things start looking like epidemics. It’s like how people think there’s more violent crime today than there was 20 years ago, even though it’s the opposite. It’s just we see so much more of it reported on TV and online.
The same holds true for the NHL. I mean, you can read blogs that touch on literally every hockey story that gets published. Over and over and over, and from every imaginable angle. It’s relentless. Should we be surprised at all the hysteria?
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)