Apr 18, 2012, 6:56 PM EDT
Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau thinks all the hubbub over dirty play is partly due to the way the NHL is covered in the internet age.
In an interview with CBC.ca, Boudreau says we’re hearing so much about hockey violence because we’re hearing so much about, well, everything.
“You can’t move without anything being reported, that’s why,” he said. “I mean if this was 1972 and they didn’t have cell phones or computers or anything else, you would’ve got a quick look on a highlight one night and that would’ve been it.”
Personally I think he makes a great point. People today are bombarded with information. No wonder things start looking like epidemics. It’s like how people think there’s more violent crime today than there was 20 years ago, even though it’s the opposite. It’s just we see so much more of it reported on TV and online.
The same holds true for the NHL. I mean, you can read blogs that touch on literally every hockey story that gets published. Over and over and over, and from every imaginable angle. It’s relentless. Should we be surprised at all the hysteria?
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 17
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 13
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)