Apr 18, 2012, 12:19 PM EDT
“I’m sorry about that. It was stupid on my part.”
Backstrom received a match penalty for intent to injure and, on Thursday, will serve the mandatory game suspension that goes along with it. He’ll miss Game 4 with his team trailing the Bruins 2-1 in the series.
The loss figures to be a crucial one for the Caps. The 24-year-old Swede is their top center, scored Washington’s only game-winning goal of the series, plays over 23 minutes a night and has been solid in the faceoff circle (55.8 percent). That last part is big, because without Backstrom the duties fall to Jay Beagle (who has been great, at 63.6 percent) and Brooks Laich who has been awful at 35.6 percent — and he’s taken the most draws on the team.
Caps head coach Dale Hunter admitted losing Backstrom would hurt, but wanted to put it in the past.
“It’s disappointing,” Hunter said. “[But] he’s suspended, it’s in the history books and we have to concentrate tomorrow”
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 71
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 54
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 34
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)