Apr 18, 2012, 12:19 PM EDT
“I’m sorry about that. It was stupid on my part.”
Backstrom received a match penalty for intent to injure and, on Thursday, will serve the mandatory game suspension that goes along with it. He’ll miss Game 4 with his team trailing the Bruins 2-1 in the series.
The loss figures to be a crucial one for the Caps. The 24-year-old Swede is their top center, scored Washington’s only game-winning goal of the series, plays over 23 minutes a night and has been solid in the faceoff circle (55.8 percent). That last part is big, because without Backstrom the duties fall to Jay Beagle (who has been great, at 63.6 percent) and Brooks Laich who has been awful at 35.6 percent — and he’s taken the most draws on the team.
Caps head coach Dale Hunter admitted losing Backstrom would hurt, but wanted to put it in the past.
“It’s disappointing,” Hunter said. “[But] he’s suspended, it’s in the history books and we have to concentrate tomorrow”
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 0
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 31
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)