Apr 18, 2012, 11:05 AM EST
NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman was in the house for last night’s Game 3 between Phoenix and Chicago. Bettman was there front and center to see yet another ugly playoff incident in the playoffs, this one involving Raffi Torres crushing Marian Hossa with a textbook violation of Rule 48.
With Bettman in attendance, Chris Kuc of the Chicago Tribune had the chance to speak with the commissioner and ask him his thoughts on how Brendan Shanahan is handling his job as the VP of Player Safety. Bettman offered up a rather zen-like reply.
“I tell him as long as you do what you think is right, the process will be fine.”
Doing what Shanahan thinks is right doesn’t seem to be working out too well considering the criticism he’s heard for the fine he levied on Nashville’s Shea Weber, the one-game suspension given to Ottawa’s Matt Carkner, as well as his explanation of why Pittsburgh’s James Neal received a one-game suspension for his hit on Claude Giroux but nothing for his equally dangerous hit on Sean Couturier.
Perhaps Bettman is happy to have someone else to take the heat for his decisions along with him. After all, misery loves company and Bettman’s gotten enough grief through his career to Eeyore feel good about his lot in life.
- Marian Gaborik suffers broken collarbone in return to action 8
- Martin Jones improves to 8-0-0, ties NHL record 18
- Vermette gets hat trick, including late tying goal, OT winner 2
- GM Wilson: It’s too early to tell if Hertl’s season is done 26
- A month later, Martin Erat still wants to be traded 11
- Devils lose Brunner for at least four weeks 0
- Video: Ovechkin becomes sixth fastest player to 400 goals in Caps win 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 16
- Assault charges against Varlamov dropped 37
- Carlyle on HBO presence: ‘It’s not normal what we’re living right now’ 7
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (108)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (104)
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ (72)
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head (71)
- Video: Marchand taunts Canucks with championship miming (69)