Apr 18, 2012, 11:05 AM EDT
NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman was in the house for last night’s Game 3 between Phoenix and Chicago. Bettman was there front and center to see yet another ugly playoff incident in the playoffs, this one involving Raffi Torres crushing Marian Hossa with a textbook violation of Rule 48.
With Bettman in attendance, Chris Kuc of the Chicago Tribune had the chance to speak with the commissioner and ask him his thoughts on how Brendan Shanahan is handling his job as the VP of Player Safety. Bettman offered up a rather zen-like reply.
“I tell him as long as you do what you think is right, the process will be fine.”
Doing what Shanahan thinks is right doesn’t seem to be working out too well considering the criticism he’s heard for the fine he levied on Nashville’s Shea Weber, the one-game suspension given to Ottawa’s Matt Carkner, as well as his explanation of why Pittsburgh’s James Neal received a one-game suspension for his hit on Claude Giroux but nothing for his equally dangerous hit on Sean Couturier.
Perhaps Bettman is happy to have someone else to take the heat for his decisions along with him. After all, misery loves company and Bettman’s gotten enough grief through his career to Eeyore feel good about his lot in life.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)