Apr 18, 2012, 11:05 AM EDT
NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman was in the house for last night’s Game 3 between Phoenix and Chicago. Bettman was there front and center to see yet another ugly playoff incident in the playoffs, this one involving Raffi Torres crushing Marian Hossa with a textbook violation of Rule 48.
With Bettman in attendance, Chris Kuc of the Chicago Tribune had the chance to speak with the commissioner and ask him his thoughts on how Brendan Shanahan is handling his job as the VP of Player Safety. Bettman offered up a rather zen-like reply.
“I tell him as long as you do what you think is right, the process will be fine.”
Doing what Shanahan thinks is right doesn’t seem to be working out too well considering the criticism he’s heard for the fine he levied on Nashville’s Shea Weber, the one-game suspension given to Ottawa’s Matt Carkner, as well as his explanation of why Pittsburgh’s James Neal received a one-game suspension for his hit on Claude Giroux but nothing for his equally dangerous hit on Sean Couturier.
Perhaps Bettman is happy to have someone else to take the heat for his decisions along with him. After all, misery loves company and Bettman’s gotten enough grief through his career to Eeyore feel good about his lot in life.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 18
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 16
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)