Apr 17, 2012, 3:28 PM EDT
“It’s hard to come up with another really good team in any sport that crumbled the way these Penguins are,” writes Pittsburgh Post-Gazette columnist Ron Cook in a scathing piece published today.
If you haven’t heard enough bad things about the Pens, the column is worth a read.
But it also made us wonder how the Penguins’ letdown, especially if they get swept, would stack up against other famous letdowns.
And we mean letdowns, which aren’t necessarily collapses. For example, the Bruins blew a 3-0 lead to the Flyers in 2010, but the B’s were the No. 6 seed in the East. Nobody considered them Stanley Cup favorites. Plus at least they made it to the second round.
Nor are we simply talking about first-round upsets. For example, it was definitely a letdown for the Red Wings when they lost in the first round to the Oilers in 2006, but we don’t recall Detroit losing its collective mind like we’re seeing from Pittsburgh.
1. The Pens were the Cup favorites
2. They’re on the verge of getting swept
3. They’re on the verge of getting swept out of the first round
4. And above all, they’re going down in flames. Blowing leads. Surrendering 20 goals in three games. Losing all focus. Their owner is reportedly embarrassed by their antics. Really, it’s the textbook definition of a meltdown.
The one thing you can say in Pittsburgh’s defense is that Philadelphia is a very good team.
But I’m trying to think of another team from any sport that has all those four points covered, and I’m having trouble.
If you can think of any, please do share.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 49
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)