Apr 17, 2012, 9:23 AM EST
Gamesmanship in the NHL playoffs is often the name of the game. But how about games that go on off the ice? Detroit’s Todd Bertuzzi would rather not see the Nashville Predators have a good time when not skating at Joe Louis Arena.
Dave Strader of NHL.com relays a story about how Bertuzzi saw the Predators using the Red Wings’ ping-pong table in the hallway at the Joe and as Ansar Khan of Mlive.com sums it up, he wasn’t too happy seeing the Preds using their toys.
Bertuzzi and a few of the other Wings saw the Predators killing time on their table and decided to interrupt. Strader says Bertuzzi packed up the table and told the Predators that if they wanted to play ping-pong, they should bring their own table. Todd Bertuzzi fun police? Hall monitor? Either way, I’m not sure I’d be the guy to interrupt him.
It’s fun and silly to hear about because, come on, it’s ping-pong for crying out loud. At least things went peaceably unlike when the Blues Jackets and Blues nearly came to blows over a pregame hallway soccer game. You’d have to imagine the on-ice insults will only pick up thanks to this, but who would dare call Bertuzzi “Forrest Gump” over his pong fascination?
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 8
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 32
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)