Shanahan suspends Shaw three games for charging Smith…but if Smith was injured, Shaw would’ve been done for the series
Apr 17, 2012, 3:23 PM EDT
After a lengthy and drawn-out procedure, NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan ruled Blackhawks forward Andrew Shaw will be suspended three games for charging Phoenix goalie Mike Smith during Saturday’s 3-2 overtime victory.
First, the video explanation:
Then this, from TSN’s Darren Dreger:
This scenario is sure to draw controversy, given the following:
— After Shaw was given a five-minute charging major and game misconduct, Smith returned to and finished Saturday’s game.
— The suspension was announced roughly six hours prior to Game 3. Shaw practiced with the ‘Hawks this morning.
— Phoenix originally had Smith listed as a game time decision for this evening.
This is the fifth suspension Shanahan’s issued during the opening round of the playoffs, eclipsing last year’s first-round total of three (when Colin Campbell was in charge of discipline.)
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)