Shanahan suspends Shaw three games for charging Smith…but if Smith was injured, Shaw would’ve been done for the series
Apr 17, 2012, 3:23 PM EDT
After a lengthy and drawn-out procedure, NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan ruled Blackhawks forward Andrew Shaw will be suspended three games for charging Phoenix goalie Mike Smith during Saturday’s 3-2 overtime victory.
First, the video explanation:
Then this, from TSN’s Darren Dreger:
This scenario is sure to draw controversy, given the following:
– After Shaw was given a five-minute charging major and game misconduct, Smith returned to and finished Saturday’s game.
– The suspension was announced roughly six hours prior to Game 3. Shaw practiced with the ‘Hawks this morning.
– Phoenix originally had Smith listed as a game time decision for this evening.
This is the fifth suspension Shanahan’s issued during the opening round of the playoffs, eclipsing last year’s first-round total of three (when Colin Campbell was in charge of discipline.)
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 9
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 10
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 9
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)