Apr 17, 2012, 1:47 AM EDT
Are the St. Louis Blues this good with the man advantage or are the San Jose Sharks just that bad? In the regular season, the Sharks ranked 29th in the league when it came to killing penalties and they certainly weren’t able to bailout their punished teammates on Monday.
The Blues converted on three of their four power-play opportunities and that’s the reason they came away with a 4-3 victory on Monday and took a 2-1 series lead.
“We’re not going to reinvent the wheel,” Sharks coach Todd McLellan said in reference to the team’s struggles when it comes to killing penalties. “We’re going to do what we do and we’re going to do it better.”
McLellan thinks Patrik Berglund’s goal on St. Louis’ first power-play attempt on Monday might have hurt them for the rest of the game.
“It affects your confidence and your ability to keep going,” McLellan said. “You can feel it a little bit on the bench.”
To San Jose’s credit, they did a much better job of containing the Blues’ power-play units in the first two contests. They’ll get a chance to bounce back in Game 4 on Thursday.
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 34
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Capitals 3
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 57
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 25
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 43
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 29
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (80)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)