Apr 17, 2012, 1:47 AM EDT
Are the St. Louis Blues this good with the man advantage or are the San Jose Sharks just that bad? In the regular season, the Sharks ranked 29th in the league when it came to killing penalties and they certainly weren’t able to bailout their punished teammates on Monday.
The Blues converted on three of their four power-play opportunities and that’s the reason they came away with a 4-3 victory on Monday and took a 2-1 series lead.
“We’re not going to reinvent the wheel,” Sharks coach Todd McLellan said in reference to the team’s struggles when it comes to killing penalties. “We’re going to do what we do and we’re going to do it better.”
McLellan thinks Patrik Berglund’s goal on St. Louis’ first power-play attempt on Monday might have hurt them for the rest of the game.
“It affects your confidence and your ability to keep going,” McLellan said. “You can feel it a little bit on the bench.”
To San Jose’s credit, they did a much better job of containing the Blues’ power-play units in the first two contests. They’ll get a chance to bounce back in Game 4 on Thursday.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 15
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)