Apr 17, 2012, 9:40 PM EST
Raffi Torres isn’t a member of the Vancouver Canucks anymore, but he might not ever play a game at the United Center without a cascade of boos. This time around, Torres caught Marian Hossa with a questionable hit, forcing the Chicago Blackhawks sniper to leave the game on a stretcher.
Update: Chris Kuc reports that Hossa was taken from the United Center in an ambulance. Scary stuff.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Torres didn’t receive a penalty for the check, but Brandon Bollig got a game misconduct for going after the Coyotes forward. Replays revealed that Torres might have left his skates on the check, but feel free to debate its dirtiness in the comments. Joel Quenneville was livid in an on-the-bench interview, too (expect video of that, too).
Blackhawks fans are booing Mike Smith every time he touches the puck, but they might want to save some of that negative energy for Torres.
As you may remember, Torres caught Brent Seabrook with a brutal and controversial check behind the net in last year’s playoffs. It seemed to be part of what lit a fire under Chicago, who nearly came back from a 3-0 series deficit to beat Torres’ former team, the Vancouver Canucks.
With Andrew Shaw‘s three-game suspension, it’s going to be hard for Torres to avoid sitting a game or two himself. What kind of punishment does he deserve, then?
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 124
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 95
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 107
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (126)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (124)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (106)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (95)