Apr 17, 2012, 9:40 PM EDT
Raffi Torres isn’t a member of the Vancouver Canucks anymore, but he might not ever play a game at the United Center without a cascade of boos. This time around, Torres caught Marian Hossa with a questionable hit, forcing the Chicago Blackhawks sniper to leave the game on a stretcher.
Update: Chris Kuc reports that Hossa was taken from the United Center in an ambulance. Scary stuff.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Torres didn’t receive a penalty for the check, but Brandon Bollig got a game misconduct for going after the Coyotes forward. Replays revealed that Torres might have left his skates on the check, but feel free to debate its dirtiness in the comments. Joel Quenneville was livid in an on-the-bench interview, too (expect video of that, too).
Blackhawks fans are booing Mike Smith every time he touches the puck, but they might want to save some of that negative energy for Torres.
As you may remember, Torres caught Brent Seabrook with a brutal and controversial check behind the net in last year’s playoffs. It seemed to be part of what lit a fire under Chicago, who nearly came back from a 3-0 series deficit to beat Torres’ former team, the Vancouver Canucks.
With Andrew Shaw‘s three-game suspension, it’s going to be hard for Torres to avoid sitting a game or two himself. What kind of punishment does he deserve, then?
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 3
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 37
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 32
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 17
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 22
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 35
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 126
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (126)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)