Apr 17, 2012, 7:18 PM EDT
Daniel Alfredsson didn’t play on Monday because of a concussion sustained when the Rangers’ Carl Hagelin elbowed him during Saturday’s game. When will he play again? Who knows, but the news coming from Senators coach Paul MacLean wasn’t encouraging.
Alfredsson apparently suffered a setback in his attempt to return mere days after being concussed. That was made all the more apparent Tuesday, when Alfredsson was one of just three Senators players to skip the team’s optional skate.
Without Alfredsson on Monday, the Ottawa Senators offered a spirited, but ultimately futile effort against the New York Rangers. They had some scoring chances, but Henrik Lundqvist turned aside 39 shots in a 1-0 victory. The Senators had an uphill battle ahead of them going into this series, but the odds have been stacked even further against them with the potential loss of their captain.
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 0
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 5
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 21
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 56
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control