Apr 17, 2012, 10:45 AM EDT
We’ve heard from plenty of people who aren’t too happy with how Brendan Shanahan and the NHL have handled league discipline during the playoffs and now you can add Jonathan Toews‘ name to the list.
Toews tells David Haugh of the Chicago Tribune that players are confused as to what is and isn’t dirty and which plays will lead to suspensions. The instance Toews focuses on most is Shea Weber‘s wrestling-like move on Henrik Zetterberg.
“In a situation like that with Weber, more than anything you should make an example of it, regardless of whether he’s a star player,” said Toews, who missed 22 games due to a concussion. “They have been trying to make an example of things like that so they don’t happen again and all of a sudden you let one slide like that. Everyone must feel like they’re back to square one. So it is frustrating.”
Whether you believe they’re back to square one or if players feel like it’s open season to do as you will, daring the league to do something about it, that’s up for debate. This is a situation the league created for itself either way and upsetting the players during the league’s most important time of year doesn’t do anyone any favors.
You’ll have to wonder if Toews will feel the same way should his teammate, Andrew Shaw, wind up getting suspended for running into Coyotes goalie Mike Smith in Game 2.
- Armstrong: ‘Let’s live to fight another day’ 0
- Hitch needs ‘time to reflect’ before making decision on future 17
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 7
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 39
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 38
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 10
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 31
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)