Apr 17, 2012, 10:45 AM EST
We’ve heard from plenty of people who aren’t too happy with how Brendan Shanahan and the NHL have handled league discipline during the playoffs and now you can add Jonathan Toews‘ name to the list.
Toews tells David Haugh of the Chicago Tribune that players are confused as to what is and isn’t dirty and which plays will lead to suspensions. The instance Toews focuses on most is Shea Weber‘s wrestling-like move on Henrik Zetterberg.
“In a situation like that with Weber, more than anything you should make an example of it, regardless of whether he’s a star player,” said Toews, who missed 22 games due to a concussion. “They have been trying to make an example of things like that so they don’t happen again and all of a sudden you let one slide like that. Everyone must feel like they’re back to square one. So it is frustrating.”
Whether you believe they’re back to square one or if players feel like it’s open season to do as you will, daring the league to do something about it, that’s up for debate. This is a situation the league created for itself either way and upsetting the players during the league’s most important time of year doesn’t do anyone any favors.
You’ll have to wonder if Toews will feel the same way should his teammate, Andrew Shaw, wind up getting suspended for running into Coyotes goalie Mike Smith in Game 2.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 16
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 82
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)