Discuss: Rinne saves 40 as Preds best Red Wings

Apr 17, 2012, 10:40 PM EST

DETROIT, MI - APRIL 17: Al the Octopus is dropped from the rafters before Game Four of the Western Conference Quarterfinals between the Nashville Predators and the Detroit Red Wings during the 2012 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs at Joe Louis Arena on April 17, 2012 in Detroit, Michigan. (Photo by Dave Reginek/NHLI via Getty Images) Getty Images

Sometimes if you start out strong and end up with nothing to show for it, you can lose momentum. That certainly seemed to be the case on Tuesday. Detroit outplayed Nashville for the better part of this game, but Rinne kept the Predators in this game until they finally started to fight back.

The game was 0-0 going into the third period, but Nashville ended up with a 3-1 victory to take a 3-1 series lead.

Let’s get the discussion started.

• Pekka Rinne looked like one of the few Predators players earning their paycheck through the first 40 minutes. It was all Red Wings in the first and second periods, but the game was tied thanks in large part to Rinne.
  • The Predators were certainly better in the third period, but they also took some untimely penalties. Detroit had power-play opportunities shortly after Nashville took a 1-0 and then 2-1 lead.
  • Gabriel Bourque has certainly been a pleasant surprise for Nashville. The Rookie has three goals in four playoff games. That’s just four less goals than he had in 43 regular season contests.
  • So much for the home ice advantage. After posting a 31-7-3 record at home during the regular season, the Detroit Red Wings lost back-to-back games against the Predators in the Joe Louis Arena.
  1. seaner44 - Apr 17, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Rinne has got to be the best player in the playoffs so far (Quick is probably 1b)… I still think Nashville has a great shot at making it out of the west if he plays like this all the way through

• hines86for6 - Apr 17, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Wait until they get big Hal Gill back blocking shots.

Rinne may not have to be this good with Vancouver essentially out.

Remember Nashville had a winning record against the Blues and dominated the Blackhawks, the other 2 best teams remaining in the west IMO.

2. hines86for6 - Apr 17, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Can’t cry about the refs tonight, wings fans.

Legwand should have had 2. That first one was a goal.

I’ll say again: The Predators are simply a better hockey team.

3. hockinj25 - Apr 17, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Rinne has been the best player not only in this series but in the entire playoffs. It hurts me to say this but he if Nashville advances Rinne could carry them all the way.

4. vshehane - Apr 17, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Preds win despite playing 9 on 4 most of the game. If the Preds had played well it would have been 6-0. GREAT GAME PEKKA!

5. jegreen21 - Apr 17, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Suck on that Detroit!!!! Best performance by Rinne in the series. It doesn’t matter how many shots the wings put on goal…the man is a brick wall! I’m going to be there Friday and I’ll make sure to throw a catfish right at Babcock’s face!! Go preds!!

6. bensawesomeness - Apr 17, 2012 at 11:03 PM

All it takes is a hot goalie to win in the playoff ( See: Cam Ward )

As a biased Wings fan, i’d argue that, although Jimmy hasn’t played badly, Goaltending’s just about the only area Nashville is beating Detroit (and lucky bounces, but cant change that)

Make no mistake – Detroit is experienced enough to be able to come back – they tied it up against San Jose last year – but im having a hard time seeing it happening. I wouldnt put my money on it…

Seriously it kills me to say that, im a huge Wings fan, this series’ll be the death of me

• hines86for6 - Apr 17, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Wrong. The Preds blueliners are playing much better.

Did Shea Weber and 2 Preds chase a player into the corner?

No that was Lidstrom and others.

Also see Cleary’s dumb mistake on the last goal.
      And once again, the Preds doubled the wings blocks without Hal Gill.

7. dahutz - Apr 17, 2012 at 11:04 PM

I’d like to beat the Red Wings’ fans to the punch, and just go ahead and turn this comment board into a whine-party about Shea Weber.

Suck it Wings!!!

• bensawesomeness - Apr 17, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Stay classy, Nashville

• hines86for6 - Apr 17, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Come down and enjoy our classiness friday night.

Doubt I’ll see many wings fans at the Stone for game 5.

Also, what’s with all the empty seats for the first fives minutes of periods?

I thought detroit fans were the most dedicated in hockey…

8. hines86for6 - Apr 17, 2012 at 11:08 PM

The Wings have lost 9 games at home this ssn including the playoffs. 3 of those losses are to the Preds.

When Pekka Rinne makes 35+ saves this season, the Preds are 17-0-2.

Best goalie in the league.

9. fusionix7 - Apr 17, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Troll much Hines? As crappy as the Wings have played at least they played with class, glad to see the Pens hopefully swept. Empty seats are corporate seats. The awful trade-off you have for being a successful franchise.

• hines86for6 - Apr 17, 2012 at 11:32 PM

I’m a Preds fan. From Nashville. Just used the same screen name fro. PFT.

Not trolling. Just celebrating my team ctake care of business against a great franchise.

10. thehighcountrybear - Apr 17, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Simple formula for hill country hockey experts…find a six foot nine behemoth, hang twenty yards of nylon and leather on the freak, back him up with marginally talented giants who can skate hard while clutching, grabbing, holding and interfering at every opportunity, hope for a break or two while reducing the game to a lock-down snooze-fest, tell all the good old boys in from the hills it’s hockey, then congratulate each other [ between chaws ] that the Predators are superior to the Wings! Better still, complement the disaster with Shanny’s boys whose chief virtue is selective stupidity, almost hit the spittoon, then tell each other just how good the Predators really are while confidently predicting a Cup berth [ hey y’all, leave my cousin alone, he’s all mine ]. When the wheel of fortune turns as it always does, a hard rain’s a gonna fall [ not so hard that the fire under the mash will be put out y’all hope ]. If that’s hockey, you’re welcome to it Nashville, but take time to understand tonight’s exhibition is why the Predators empty arenas [ including their own ] all over the league…

• hines86for6 - Apr 17, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Butt hurt much?

Go watch Yzerman highlights; its a new day.

Giants? Weber and Gaustad were the only giants skating on the ice tonight.

Your team got outmatched and outclassed. Live with it, but spare us the bitter drivel.

11. icelovinbrotha215 - Apr 17, 2012 at 11:42 PM

It’s just right for a goalie to be this big and move so nimble haha. Pekka is a beast.

• gekkoguy82 - Apr 18, 2012 at 10:02 AM

The Predators have to be cheating! It’s simply not fair to have a guy that big with the kinds of reflexes he has! He must be genetically engineered or something :-P

12. thehighcountrybear - Apr 17, 2012 at 11:47 PM

As a hillbilly boy Predators supporter it’s easy to understand your fixation with butts…? Bitter, absolutely…I’m always bitter when mediocre garbage bests my team on the strength of dead-beat defensive hockey that puts the world to bed early! But suggesting the Wings were outclassed…have you ever actually played the game or are you just another remote control hockey expert? Bring your sorry ass North and we’ll tune you into some western style hockey, you witless semi-illiterate peasant…

• letsbecivilyall - Apr 18, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Stay classy Detroit fans. Stay classy.

• gekkoguy82 - Apr 18, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Please ignore this bonehead, and don’t lump him in with true Red Wings fans. He does not speak for all of us. The Preds are pretty stinkin’ good, that’s it. I’ll never count out my Wings, but the Preds are the better team this series, clearly.

• dahutz - Apr 18, 2012 at 8:44 AM

Why would we go north? Everyone from your city is moving here, to one of the fastest growing regional economies in the country. Backed by 14 universities, including Vanderbilt, one of the best in the country. next time you end up in a hospital, odds are its one of the over 400 owned and operated by HCA or CHS.
      You should really come up with a new joHanover than witless illiterate, Since reconstruction ended over 120 years ago and most people in Nashville didn’t even live here then. And by the way, peasant, is a term used to describe people living in the feudal farming society of medieval Europe. In case you haven’t heard, most north americans ancestory traces back to Europe. But you probably never learned that while getting your GED and going to work on an assembly line for $80 an hour (until we had to bail you out!). If you’re still looking for new work, Nissan might be willing to hire you here. They’re hiring a lot of folks right now. How are your car companies doing? Might be hard to sell your house for more than $10,000 though, so I can see how you’re stuck up there. After all, I heard the sale of the silver dome went for only $500k.

Here’s Another bailout for you….stick to hockey. Arguing over the city or the people is a losing battle for you.

Oh and before I get another ‘stay classy’ line, just know that Ron burgundy called and said you can stop using his joke since anchorman came out 8 years ago.

13. underwoodsbeard - Apr 18, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Western style hockey? Dude we are the definition of North American, second chance banging, hard nosed defensive hockey. For a guy who cheers a team that may have the most Euros in the NHL skating to tell me what “western hockey” is… which no one calls it that, is laughable. Choke on it bro, put on that stupid Tigers hat and go listen to some Eminem. Hockey season ends for you this week.

14. howardforvezina - Apr 18, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Howard is not the same as earlier in the season. Which is obvious by how he had such high awareness before injury. But it is not over yet 3 straight can be done but if they lose so be it. You cant help the mistakes and bounces. But if you have something negative to say dont say it. (everyone here is a person)

15. going4iton4th - Apr 18, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Highcountrybear,

I’m a hockey fan sir and you can hurl your insults but it doesn’t take away from the fact that your team is one step closer to elimination. I’ve got to admit I would think the hockey blue bloods like yourself would be ok with growing the sport in the Southern states. I suppose you are one of those “put em all in Canada” types huh? Well strange as it sounds the NHL has been thriving in Nashville since a more stable ownership group took over. Funny how arrogant you types get when you must realize the only way to promote the game is to roll the dice and expand. If you know so much I’m sure you remember that the Penguins came within an eyelash of leaving Pittsburgh. You are a bright boy but realize you are dealing with one of the best goalies in the game and a team that plays a brand of hockey that your team can’t counter currently. You need to wise up–this year’s version of the Red Wings simply aren’t as good as you little arrogant Hockey Towners’ think!

16. thehighcountrybear - Apr 18, 2012 at 12:53 AM

I’m born and bred Calgary, Nashville North so they say but with less spangle and big hair…? Out here in the West, we play rock hard hockey, no quarter asked and none given…friend and foe we all meet after hockey for a few toots and a few beers, friends for life! Collectively, we scorn sit-back hockey the likes of which flourish in Phoenix and Nashville and we particularly scorn the fairy dance coming out of Vancouver. And yes, we admit when our team sucked or committed goal-yielding gaffes, but we avoid gloating like Sunday heroes when we were clearly out-played and caught a few unearned breaks…? Predators fans are welcome to any successes that may come their way, but don’t try and pass that lock-down garbage as hockey, and don’t make the mistake of dissing a Red Wing franchise so deep and storied it escapes your ken…win something then come bark with the big dogs!

• hines86for6 - Apr 18, 2012 at 1:10 AM

I hope you’re here friday night.

• predsboy18 - Apr 18, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Um, you DO realize that it was Scotty Bowman in Detroit, and Jacques Lemaire in New Jersey that brought the lockdown system into the league in the mid-90s. Most know it as the “Left Wing Lock”, but it’s still the trap game, no matter what it’s called. Guess it sucks knowing that a team from Nashville is beating Detroit at a game it once based its success on.

What I find humorous is that somehow Nashville doesn’t “deserve” to win. Just because the Preds don’t throw 40 shots on net, and play a version of the trap, doesn’t mean somehow the Preds don’t deserve to win. If, at the end of the night, the scoreboard says Nashville won, then that’s what the case is. Detroit had PLENTY of opportunities, but they were either squandered, or Rinne stopped the shot. Just because the Wings outplayed the Preds doesn’t mean the Preds somehow don’t deserve to win. You might get lucky once, but from my count, the Preds have 3 wins in this series, all while being outshot, and facing more Detroit Power Plays. That’s not luck, that’s knowing how to play defense. The Wings big excuse has been “oh, we’re just not that good” or “we got screwed somehow” but it might be time to face facts, perhaps Nashville is just a better team than Detroit. The Wings won 31 games at home, 23 of them in a row, that’s not a fluke. There’s no excuse for the Wings coming up short at home. In fact, prior to the series, I was glad Nashville had home ice, cause that meant that Game 7 would be away from Detorit, I guess I don’t really have to worry about that now.

17. cspuck7 - Apr 18, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Rinne is a great goalie and Trotz a good coach, but don’t worry you’ll lose Suter next year to the Wings, and I’ll take my team any day against an organization that has won 1 playoff series ever.

18. underwoodsbeard - Apr 18, 2012 at 1:45 AM

HCB, Oh yeah! Some real hardcore, no quarter, billy-bad-ass brand of hockey your playing up in Calgary pal. Just because you slack jaws just got the “interwebs, eh?” Your so cool? When your best export over the past 30 years is the Hart family and the only thing you import is Rodeo Animals (not a slight on your women), that gives you the right to call people hillbillies and make fun of their lifestyles? I mean… “U Mad Bro”?

Glad that some real life brokeback mountain livin’ dude from Calgary has your back Wings fans. Maybe if you get some other “cool people who really know hockey” to back you up, you can educate all of us toothless simpletons on how our poor little team has been so lucky to find themselves up 3-1. Thanks…

19. thehighcountrybear - Apr 18, 2012 at 1:47 AM

I’d love to be there Friday night…if you’re in the building, I’ll walk with my back to the wall. Comparing the current Predators to Scotty’s Wings, possibly one of the most high-powered offensive teams to play the game, demonstrates the extent to which you miss the point? The game is primarily meant to be played with the intent of scoring while preventing the other team from scoring being the secondary consideration. Hockey started to die during the Lemaire years…just look at what happened to the fan bases in every franchise he was involved with. The Wings have a long history of possession hockey with the possession occurring in the offensive zone; when they locked, it was a strategy that may have occupied 2 percent of their game…why lock when you have the puck? When I lay out big coin to watch hockey, I want to see goals and end to end rushes from both teams; that’s hockey, and that’s hockey that fills seats and sells merchandise. Trotz’s strategy while effective short term, will never satisfy a discriminating fan base over the long-haul and as the franchise matures, new fans to the game will get it. What makes it worse is there is not a single player on the Predators who would not prefer to play run and gun hockey…it’s far easier to play, less damaging, and infinitely more enjoyable for players and more entertaining for fans! If Trotz let his horses run, he’d fill the building every night of the season, and Nashville would be roaring. Beat the Wings playing wide open offensive hockey and I’ll stand in line to offer congratulations…

20. thehighcountrybear - Apr 18, 2012 at 2:13 AM

Trust me, Alberta is for the most part, red neck central and conservative by every measure…our biggest export is oil, gas, oil and more gas. We grow the best wheat in the world and some of the best rodeo stock in the world [ I detest rodeo ]. The best part, we pay no provincial sales tax and provincial taxes generally are half that of every other province. I live in the hills myself, and my spread sits on one of the biggest natural gas deposits anywhere though the federal government owns all oil producing sub surface rights. We are for the most part wealthy by most standards, arrogant, and known to brew our own hooch if for no other reason than to be contrary. All of this came to us because of a geographic fluke…not because we’re particularly clever. We once had a pretty good hockey team before it too became consumed by defensive oriented hockey…boring beyond belief. My good fortune came by picking the Wings when there were only six teams in the league…everyone out west liked Wings or Hawks in counter to the loathsome Canadiens and detestable Leafs. We don’t raise sheep so the Broke Back Mountain reference though humorous, is contextually incorrect. On a related matter, we do manufacture and sell Velcro gloves and knee pads to Canucks supporters…? Any other questions?

21. going4iton4th - Apr 18, 2012 at 7:45 AM

I give all due respect to Red Wings legacy and their long list of Hall of Famers and coaches but it sounds like you are one of those “railing traditionalists” that fears any change or shaking of the establishment. It’s ok. As far as your comments about our “drag and hold system” how many opportunities did your team have power play wise? You were 1 of 7? Just for the record the officials gifted that “too many men on ice call” penalty for your team. I’ll give the Wings credit it if you would have covered up the score and power play attempts and score and ask me which team won I think 100 percent of the people would say Detroit. The bottom line is 40 plus shots compared to like 17–Detroit just didn’t get it done. Period. If you want to criticize Rinne have it but whatever his size I bet you love to have him huh? It’ll be fun to see what happens Friday—not saying Detroit is done (the Wings are still the Wings) but if they have a similar effort to last nights game they are done.

22. kravis63 - Apr 18, 2012 at 8:10 AM

I’ve been a Red Wings fan my whole life, and it does suck the way this series is going but it is going as I was fearing it would. Other than Weber’s bush league antics at the end of game 1, there is really nothing I can complain about. Rinne has been unstoppable and the Preds have played well. The Preds are a good team and series so far in these playoffs This has been the cleanest (again aside from Webers WWE antics) and both teams should be commended for that. The way this series is going is how I feared it would when the Red Wings limped into the playoffs this year. Here is to hoping the Wings can claw back into this series, if any team can do it, it is them. If the season ends Friday it will be disappointing, but I will give my congratulations to the Preds.

• vshehane - Apr 18, 2012 at 8:23 AM

I have a feeling the Wing fans will forever blame this series on Weber.

• kravis63 - Apr 18, 2012 at 10:15 AM

I’m not blaming Weber at all if the Wings loose this series, but to pretend his WWE style turnbuckle head smash was anything but cheap and bush league would be dishonest. He’s a great player for sure, but it was still nothing but a unsportsmanlike cheap shot.

• vshehane - Apr 18, 2012 at 10:21 AM

It was a play where the player wasn’t even injured (although he flopped like he was shot). I am just saying it is time to move on, it has nothing to do with the series.

• kravis63 - Apr 18, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Don’t worry I will forgive Weber in two years when he is wearing the Winged Wheel as Lidstroms replacement. A flop? Why would Zetterberg flop at the end of the game. Lets see you get punched in the back of the head, then have your head rammed into the glass and see how tall you stand up.

• vshehane - Apr 18, 2012 at 10:26 AM

I was sitting close by when it happened. You know has well as I do, it wasn’t that hard. And don’t hold your breath about Weber every wearing that red sweater.

23. cspuck7 - Apr 18, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Easy there predsboy. To say theres no excuse for the Wings at home, lets look at a few things. First, the home ice advantage is overplayed, hence the 17-8 record that visiting teams hold in the 2012 playoffs. Second, the playoffs are totally different than the regular season (the President Cup winning Canucks down 3-0) , so to compare home ice records from regular season to playoffs is irrelevant. Hats off to Rinne for vastly outplaying Howard, but I guess thats what you’ll get from a 7 million dollar goalie. Good luck next year resigning your top 3 defensemen and a lot of your talented forwards with that monster contract

• hines86for6 - Apr 18, 2012 at 2:52 PM

You’ll have to worry about resignings too.

The difference is you’ll be resigning in april while we wait till may or june.

24. geo91 - Apr 18, 2012 at 9:53 AM

FINISH A PUCK WINGS! The series has been on their sticks and they either miss the net or mishandle the puck. Zetterberg, Abdelkader and Stuart are the only guys who want it right now! Nashville has not done anything spectacular to win these games, it’s been all Rinne. If the wings don’t find a scoring touch its over

• vshehane - Apr 18, 2012 at 5:15 PM

If the Preds have not been spectacular but lead the series 3-1, it speaks volumes about how bad the wings have been.

25. thehighcountrybear - Apr 18, 2012 at 6:07 PM

In fact, I’ve been a Red Wings fan since 1955…you? What’s always a laugh for any fan base are the band wagon jumpers articulating who and what constitutes a fan of any given team. Unlike the United States where freedom of speech is a myth undermined by gun powder and a collectively paranoid social consciousness that leaves the rest of the free world laughing behind their hands, we are actually able to speak our mind on any subject without being dragged off by some thug in the service of republican whores like Bush and Bushier! If I or anyone else offers an opinion on a team, that opinion is valid of itself…feel free to counter the offering, but avoid the perception a piss ant Johnny come lately can decide who is or isn’t a fan!

26. thehighcountrybear - Apr 18, 2012 at 6:14 PM

geckogirl82: if you think that embarrassment to the game of hockey that calls itself the Nashville Predators is superior to the Red Wings, you’ve clearly never graced a hockey rink with your fat ass, and you clearly know squat about the game of hockey. Quit pandering to the hillbilly classes, you’re embarrassing the Wings with your snot-nosed drivel…

Holiday wish lists for NHL teams
Top 10 NHL Player Searches