Apr 17, 2012, 9:12 PM EDT
Martin Hanzal‘s overtime Game 1-winning tip might have been his introduction for many casual fans. More regular followers of the Phoenix Coyotes probably know that Hanzal is a big center who can be a big headache for opposing teams’ top forwards, so losing him for Game 3 against the Chicago Blackhawks could be a big – if subtle – loss.
Sarah McLellan reports that he’s an unhealthy scratch as the series shifts to the United Center tonight. (The game’s just about to start on CNBC, by the way.)
Hanzal is dealing with a lower-body injury. It’s unclear how severe it is (or in typical playoff fashion, what exactly it is), but it must be serious if the large pivot cannot play.
With both games ending in overtime out in Phoenix, every little edge is needed. Being without Hanzal might just prove costly for the Coyotes. Then again, Dave Tippett’s team is pretty good at facing steep odds, so this could just be nothing. (The Blackhawks will be without Andrew Shaw on their end, after all.)
Oh, and in case you were wondering … yes, Mike Smith is Phoenix’s starting goalie.
- BREAKING: Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 5
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 19
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 9
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 2
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 43
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 26
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 49
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)