Apr 17, 2012, 1:17 AM EDT
One of the San Jose Sharks biggest strengths going into their first round series against the St. Louis Blues was their triple threat of Joe Pavelski, Logan Couture, and Patrick Marleau. All three of them finished the season with at least 30 goals.
Their presence provided the Sharks with the potential for a balanced attack that might be capable of penetrating even the Blues’ superb goaltending and defense. However, for the most part that hasn’t been the case.
With three games of this first round series in the books, Pavelski and Marleau have failed to score even one goal between them. Couture finally found the back of the net with just 17 seconds left in Game 3, but it was too little, too late as the Blues still earned a 4-3 victory.
The Sharks were only able to score three goals in four games against the Blues in the regular season. By comparison their six goals in three postseason contests is an accomplishment, but it hasn’t been enough.
Maybe Couture’s goal and San Jose’s late surge in Game 3 will provide the Sharks with some momentum going into Game 4. They could certainly use it, because while this series isn’t over yet, they don’t want to be in a situation were they’re down 3-1 heading back to St. Louis.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 12
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 13
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)