Apr 17, 2012, 1:17 AM EST
One of the San Jose Sharks biggest strengths going into their first round series against the St. Louis Blues was their triple threat of Joe Pavelski, Logan Couture, and Patrick Marleau. All three of them finished the season with at least 30 goals.
Their presence provided the Sharks with the potential for a balanced attack that might be capable of penetrating even the Blues’ superb goaltending and defense. However, for the most part that hasn’t been the case.
With three games of this first round series in the books, Pavelski and Marleau have failed to score even one goal between them. Couture finally found the back of the net with just 17 seconds left in Game 3, but it was too little, too late as the Blues still earned a 4-3 victory.
The Sharks were only able to score three goals in four games against the Blues in the regular season. By comparison their six goals in three postseason contests is an accomplishment, but it hasn’t been enough.
Maybe Couture’s goal and San Jose’s late surge in Game 3 will provide the Sharks with some momentum going into Game 4. They could certainly use it, because while this series isn’t over yet, they don’t want to be in a situation were they’re down 3-1 heading back to St. Louis.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 11
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 28
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 63
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)