Apr 16, 2012, 2:27 PM EDT
We linked to this in the Morning Skate, but if you missed it, likely first overall pick Nail Yakupov would be more than happy to get drafted by the Oilers this summer.
“I definitely want to go to Edmonton and play for the Oilers, for sure,” Yakupov told the Edmonton Sun.
“I’ve played in Canada, in Sarnia, for the last two years. I love the people. I very much want to play for a Canadian team like Edmonton. I want to play for those guys!
“If they draft me, I will work very hard to make the team, give it everything I’ve got to work hard and play for the Oilers.
“I want to be No. 1. No. 1 is No. 1. I don’t want to be second or third.”
Of course, Yakupov could still go first overall and end up somewhere else if the Oilers trade the pick, an option GM Steve Tambellini has said he’ll explore.
At this point, all options are on the table, which should make things interesting this summer.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)