Apr 16, 2012, 2:27 PM EST
We linked to this in the Morning Skate, but if you missed it, likely first overall pick Nail Yakupov would be more than happy to get drafted by the Oilers this summer.
“I definitely want to go to Edmonton and play for the Oilers, for sure,” Yakupov told the Edmonton Sun.
“I’ve played in Canada, in Sarnia, for the last two years. I love the people. I very much want to play for a Canadian team like Edmonton. I want to play for those guys!
“If they draft me, I will work very hard to make the team, give it everything I’ve got to work hard and play for the Oilers.
“I want to be No. 1. No. 1 is No. 1. I don’t want to be second or third.”
Of course, Yakupov could still go first overall and end up somewhere else if the Oilers trade the pick, an option GM Steve Tambellini has said he’ll explore.
At this point, all options are on the table, which should make things interesting this summer.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 57
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 72
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (142)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (72)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)