Tortorella holds very, very brief press conference

Apr 16, 2012, 12:22 PM EDT

John Tortorella AP

Rangers coach John Tortorella spoke to reporters this morning in Ottawa, though that may be overstating things.

If you’ve got 53 seconds to kill, have a listen, courtesy Team 1200.

For those that don’t have the time, a recap:

—-Torts says Carl Hagelin has been good for the Rangers.

—-Torts won’t comment on another team’s player (Daniel Alfredsson).

—-Torts says the Rangers won’t play any different on the road than at home.

And when some poor reporter tried to ask a fourth question a fraction of a section late?

“You missed, man. You missed.”

1. nobandwagoners - Apr 16, 2012 at 12:33 PM

This guy is such a caricature – does he realize that? His constant yelling at the refs (do they really pay attention to him or what he was to say anymore?), yelling at players, gestures, grimaces and facial contortation, etc., etc.

I mean, to me as an observer who doesn’t get to watch his teams all that often being out on the West Coast, it’s entertaining and all and he gotten the Rangers turned around so he must (?) be doing something right but I wonder if he is too much of a sideshow? Proof is in the pudding though and results is what people want. So I don’t really know. Just something to watch, is all.

• oconnor007 - Apr 16, 2012 at 12:42 PM

First, I’m a Rangers fan so take as you will. I actually think Tortorella is a really good coach. Yes, he’s blustery, he yells until he’s red in the face and he can be abrasive, but I think overall he sticks up for his guys. Of course he will be critical if they don’t play a good game.

The Rangers have completely bought into his system.

• jkay1818 - Apr 16, 2012 at 1:12 PM

yes, the man is a caricature. im sure he realizes it. Hes a giant cartoon picture. He’s an exaggerated cartoon portrait. hes a big giant head, with this little cartoon body. I think they drew it up at someone’s bar mitzvah. Congrats, the dopiest comment of the day by you.

• nobandwagoners - Apr 16, 2012 at 2:29 PM

You obviously don’t know the meaning of caricature nor to apply it to the context in which it was used. I didn’t say the guy was a cartoon character.

Wow. Guess I touched a nerve? And if you think that’s the dopiest comment of the day, you musn’t be reading the rants made by fans as to how dirty the entire other team players are and how they should all be suspended, etc., etc.

2. rwmilli - Apr 16, 2012 at 12:47 PM

I hate the rangers, I love this guy…one Of the only people who speaks their mind to the media, his players, and all hockey fans. So sick of the generic questions, torts lets everyone know what he’s thinking. Great coach, good luck to the rangers this year !

3. cweez2 - Apr 16, 2012 at 2:35 PM

I like him. He’s willing to call a spade a spade, regardless. He’s willing to point the finger at himself as much as “the other team.”

4. 8spokedb - Apr 16, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Torts is the man… And this is coming from a Bruins fan. I agree he just says whats on his mind which is refreshing in this PC world we live in today. Hes a proven winner in the league and is the perfect coach for the rangers because they are a young team that will follow his lead. Maybe his antics would not work so well for a team with more veterans but hes the perfect guy to lead this young group of blueshirts.

5. thehighcountrybear - Apr 16, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Man, I love this guy’s persona…all for his team, all for the players, but woe be to anyone crossing his view of the world: particularly reporters too lazy to formulate an original thought or question. still, I’m not sure his very, very, brief briefs should be entertained for discussion in any pages not available for sale in Soho?

Detroit must exploit Boston's young D