Apr 16, 2012, 4:17 PM EDT
It appears Chris Stewart‘s press box exile was a short one.
According to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun, the 24-year-old power forward will be back in the Blues lineup tonight after being made a healthy scratch for Game 2.
Stewart skated alongside Jason Arnott and Vladimir Sobotka on St. Louis’ third line during Monday’s pregame skate, suggesting that 1) Jamie Langenbrunner will be moved down to the fourth line, and 2) judging by the rushes, Matt D’Agostini is the odd man out.
Dropping Stewart from the lineup was just one of the changes Ken Hitchcock made for Game 2, and given how well those changes worked — the Blues looked solid and spirited in a 3-0 win over San Jose — it’s a little surprising that he’d tinker with the formula.
That said, it would also be tough to imagine Hitchcock banishing Stewart for any length of time. Even in a down year, Stewart scored 15 goals for St. Louis after posting back-to-back 28-goal campaigns — that goalscoring ability is key for a Blues team that does, on occasion, struggle to put pucks in the net.
In short, putting Stewart in the press box for a game was probably Hitch’s way of delivering a wake-up call. And it sounds like Stewart got the message.
“I do hope I get a chance to get back in there and show him that I can play,” Stewart said after learning of his Game 2 demotion. “This isn’t the time of the year to pout or get down on yourself. We’re a team, we’ve got to stick together, and they’re going to need me eventually in this series.
“When I get the chance again, I’ll be ready.”
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 13
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 35
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 6
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 42
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 104
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 89
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (104)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (89)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)