Apr 16, 2012, 4:53 PM EDT
Huge news out of Los Angeles today as the Vancouver Canucks announced Daniel Sedin will re-join the team and participate in a full practice on Tuesday.
Sedin, 31, missed the final nine games of the regular season with a concussion after being elbowed in the head by Chicago’s Duncan Keith. He resumed practicing prior to the start of the Kings series, but didn’t receive medical clearance and has missed Vancouver’s first three playoff contests.
On Saturday, a former team employee tweeted that Sedin wouldn’t play for the remainder of the series, a claim Canucks head coach Alain Vigneault refuted.
Today, the coach updated Sedin’s status.
“Daniel is continuing to follow protocol,” Vigneault told the Canucks website. “He’s been skating for a few days and has been cleared to practice.”
When asked what Sedin’s potential return would mean for his club, Vigneault simply stated, “He’s our leading scorer.”
Sedin played very well against Los Angeles in three regular season games, recording 1G-3A-4PTS while playing over 18 minutes a night. He and brother Henrik combined to average a point per game against the Kings this year.
“In a series where goals are hard to come by, getting a 30-goal scorer back would be huge,” he said.
Speaking of goaltending, Vigneault says he hasn’t decided who will start Wednesday. Schneider replaced Roberto Luongo for Game 3 and surrendered just one goal to the Kings on 20 shots.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)