Apr 16, 2012, 4:53 PM EST
Huge news out of Los Angeles today as the Vancouver Canucks announced Daniel Sedin will re-join the team and participate in a full practice on Tuesday.
Sedin, 31, missed the final nine games of the regular season with a concussion after being elbowed in the head by Chicago’s Duncan Keith. He resumed practicing prior to the start of the Kings series, but didn’t receive medical clearance and has missed Vancouver’s first three playoff contests.
On Saturday, a former team employee tweeted that Sedin wouldn’t play for the remainder of the series, a claim Canucks head coach Alain Vigneault refuted.
Today, the coach updated Sedin’s status.
“Daniel is continuing to follow protocol,” Vigneault told the Canucks website. “He’s been skating for a few days and has been cleared to practice.”
When asked what Sedin’s potential return would mean for his club, Vigneault simply stated, “He’s our leading scorer.”
Sedin played very well against Los Angeles in three regular season games, recording 1G-3A-4PTS while playing over 18 minutes a night. He and brother Henrik combined to average a point per game against the Kings this year.
“In a series where goals are hard to come by, getting a 30-goal scorer back would be huge,” he said.
Speaking of goaltending, Vigneault says he hasn’t decided who will start Wednesday. Schneider replaced Roberto Luongo for Game 3 and surrendered just one goal to the Kings on 20 shots.
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 1
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 40
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (40)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)