Apr 16, 2012, 4:53 PM EDT
Huge news out of Los Angeles today as the Vancouver Canucks announced Daniel Sedin will re-join the team and participate in a full practice on Tuesday.
Sedin, 31, missed the final nine games of the regular season with a concussion after being elbowed in the head by Chicago’s Duncan Keith. He resumed practicing prior to the start of the Kings series, but didn’t receive medical clearance and has missed Vancouver’s first three playoff contests.
On Saturday, a former team employee tweeted that Sedin wouldn’t play for the remainder of the series, a claim Canucks head coach Alain Vigneault refuted.
Today, the coach updated Sedin’s status.
“Daniel is continuing to follow protocol,” Vigneault told the Canucks website. “He’s been skating for a few days and has been cleared to practice.”
When asked what Sedin’s potential return would mean for his club, Vigneault simply stated, “He’s our leading scorer.”
Sedin played very well against Los Angeles in three regular season games, recording 1G-3A-4PTS while playing over 18 minutes a night. He and brother Henrik combined to average a point per game against the Kings this year.
“In a series where goals are hard to come by, getting a 30-goal scorer back would be huge,” he said.
Speaking of goaltending, Vigneault says he hasn’t decided who will start Wednesday. Schneider replaced Roberto Luongo for Game 3 and surrendered just one goal to the Kings on 20 shots.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)