Apr 16, 2012, 4:53 PM EDT
Huge news out of Los Angeles today as the Vancouver Canucks announced Daniel Sedin will re-join the team and participate in a full practice on Tuesday.
Sedin, 31, missed the final nine games of the regular season with a concussion after being elbowed in the head by Chicago’s Duncan Keith. He resumed practicing prior to the start of the Kings series, but didn’t receive medical clearance and has missed Vancouver’s first three playoff contests.
On Saturday, a former team employee tweeted that Sedin wouldn’t play for the remainder of the series, a claim Canucks head coach Alain Vigneault refuted.
Today, the coach updated Sedin’s status.
“Daniel is continuing to follow protocol,” Vigneault told the Canucks website. “He’s been skating for a few days and has been cleared to practice.”
When asked what Sedin’s potential return would mean for his club, Vigneault simply stated, “He’s our leading scorer.”
Sedin played very well against Los Angeles in three regular season games, recording 1G-3A-4PTS while playing over 18 minutes a night. He and brother Henrik combined to average a point per game against the Kings this year.
“In a series where goals are hard to come by, getting a 30-goal scorer back would be huge,” he said.
Speaking of goaltending, Vigneault says he hasn’t decided who will start Wednesday. Schneider replaced Roberto Luongo for Game 3 and surrendered just one goal to the Kings on 20 shots.
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 18
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 58
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (90)