Apr 16, 2012, 4:46 PM EDT
The indignation from the mainstream media reached epic proportions during and after the Flyers-Penguins game on Sunday.
On Twitter, words like “disgraceful” and “embarrassing” were used to describe the contentious contest in Philadelphia.
Today, Ken Campbell of The Hockey News ripped the NHL, writing, “Those who run the league at its highest levels have so little faith in the beauty, intensity and emotion when the game is played at its highest level that they feel compelled to allow this nonsense to continue relatively unabated.”
On the other hand, the TV ratings were way up.
And for what it’s worth, Philadelphia Eagles linebacker Jamar Chaney tweeted, “No matter the sport. This was the best game I ever attend(ed) as a fan.”
So let’s put it to a poll:
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 12
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 31
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 52
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 105
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 21
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (105)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)