Apr 16, 2012, 4:46 PM EDT
The indignation from the mainstream media reached epic proportions during and after the Flyers-Penguins game on Sunday.
On Twitter, words like “disgraceful” and “embarrassing” were used to describe the contentious contest in Philadelphia.
Today, Ken Campbell of The Hockey News ripped the NHL, writing, “Those who run the league at its highest levels have so little faith in the beauty, intensity and emotion when the game is played at its highest level that they feel compelled to allow this nonsense to continue relatively unabated.”
On the other hand, the TV ratings were way up.
And for what it’s worth, Philadelphia Eagles linebacker Jamar Chaney tweeted, “No matter the sport. This was the best game I ever attend(ed) as a fan.”
So let’s put it to a poll:
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 14
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 15
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 37
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)