Apr 16, 2012, 11:39 PM EDT
While Washington Capitals head coach Dale Hunter doesn’t think that Nicklas Backstrom‘s late cross-check on Rich Peverley was all that bad, the Boston Bruins aren’t as convinced. Peverley didn’t go as far as to call for Backstrom to sit out Game 4, but he was candid if unmoved about the situation with CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley.
“He tried to cross-check me in the face,” Peverley said. “We’ll let the league deal with that.”
“I felt a couple guys run me. I was trying to hold the puck up. It’s playoffs, tempers are going to go. Whatever. It’s high intensity and guys are going to be doing stuff like that.”
Hunter said that the hit wasn’t really suspension-worthy. (Click here for somewhat-decent video evidence.) As a rare member of the 1,000+ points and PIM club, the Capitals’ coach seems like a good judge of hockey scrums, so it says something that Hunter compared the third period of tonight’s game to rugby.
It seems likely to expect even more rough stuff as the series goes along, whether Backstrom is suspended or not.
Here is one more look at the incident:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 0
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 17
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 25
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (43)