Apr 16, 2012, 11:39 PM EST
While Washington Capitals head coach Dale Hunter doesn’t think that Nicklas Backstrom‘s late cross-check on Rich Peverley was all that bad, the Boston Bruins aren’t as convinced. Peverley didn’t go as far as to call for Backstrom to sit out Game 4, but he was candid if unmoved about the situation with CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley.
“He tried to cross-check me in the face,” Peverley said. “We’ll let the league deal with that.”
“I felt a couple guys run me. I was trying to hold the puck up. It’s playoffs, tempers are going to go. Whatever. It’s high intensity and guys are going to be doing stuff like that.”
Hunter said that the hit wasn’t really suspension-worthy. (Click here for somewhat-decent video evidence.) As a rare member of the 1,000+ points and PIM club, the Capitals’ coach seems like a good judge of hockey scrums, so it says something that Hunter compared the third period of tonight’s game to rugby.
It seems likely to expect even more rough stuff as the series goes along, whether Backstrom is suspended or not.
Here is one more look at the incident:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)