Apr 16, 2012, 11:39 PM EST
While Washington Capitals head coach Dale Hunter doesn’t think that Nicklas Backstrom‘s late cross-check on Rich Peverley was all that bad, the Boston Bruins aren’t as convinced. Peverley didn’t go as far as to call for Backstrom to sit out Game 4, but he was candid if unmoved about the situation with CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley.
“He tried to cross-check me in the face,” Peverley said. “We’ll let the league deal with that.”
“I felt a couple guys run me. I was trying to hold the puck up. It’s playoffs, tempers are going to go. Whatever. It’s high intensity and guys are going to be doing stuff like that.”
Hunter said that the hit wasn’t really suspension-worthy. (Click here for somewhat-decent video evidence.) As a rare member of the 1,000+ points and PIM club, the Capitals’ coach seems like a good judge of hockey scrums, so it says something that Hunter compared the third period of tonight’s game to rugby.
It seems likely to expect even more rough stuff as the series goes along, whether Backstrom is suspended or not.
Here is one more look at the incident:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 3
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)