Apr 16, 2012, 7:17 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins are down 3-0 in their series against the Philadelphia Flyers, but hey, there’s always the World Championships, right? That’s how Evgeni Malkin plans to extend his season if the Penguins are unable to pull off a remarkable comeback.
Malkin’s performance in the first round has been something of a mixed bag. He has four assists in three games and he’s managed to stay out of the sin bin, which is more than can be said for a lot of the Penguins stars.
At the same time he’s been overshadowed by the Flyers’ rookie Sean Couturier and has a team-worst minus-four rating.
Malkin is a frontrunner to win the Hart Trophy, but if the Penguins end up getting eliminated by Philadelphia in the first round, then maybe the World Championship will provide him with some sort of silver lining before he begins his off-season routine.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 6
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 54
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 55
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 162
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 6
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 25
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 30
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (162)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)