Apr 16, 2012, 7:17 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins are down 3-0 in their series against the Philadelphia Flyers, but hey, there’s always the World Championships, right? That’s how Evgeni Malkin plans to extend his season if the Penguins are unable to pull off a remarkable comeback.
Malkin’s performance in the first round has been something of a mixed bag. He has four assists in three games and he’s managed to stay out of the sin bin, which is more than can be said for a lot of the Penguins stars.
At the same time he’s been overshadowed by the Flyers’ rookie Sean Couturier and has a team-worst minus-four rating.
Malkin is a frontrunner to win the Hart Trophy, but if the Penguins end up getting eliminated by Philadelphia in the first round, then maybe the World Championship will provide him with some sort of silver lining before he begins his off-season routine.
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 0
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 95
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 2) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 50
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 76
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 115