Apr 16, 2012, 7:17 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins are down 3-0 in their series against the Philadelphia Flyers, but hey, there’s always the World Championships, right? That’s how Evgeni Malkin plans to extend his season if the Penguins are unable to pull off a remarkable comeback.
Malkin’s performance in the first round has been something of a mixed bag. He has four assists in three games and he’s managed to stay out of the sin bin, which is more than can be said for a lot of the Penguins stars.
At the same time he’s been overshadowed by the Flyers’ rookie Sean Couturier and has a team-worst minus-four rating.
Malkin is a frontrunner to win the Hart Trophy, but if the Penguins end up getting eliminated by Philadelphia in the first round, then maybe the World Championship will provide him with some sort of silver lining before he begins his off-season routine.
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 1
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 27
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)