Apr 16, 2012, 7:17 PM EST
The Pittsburgh Penguins are down 3-0 in their series against the Philadelphia Flyers, but hey, there’s always the World Championships, right? That’s how Evgeni Malkin plans to extend his season if the Penguins are unable to pull off a remarkable comeback.
Malkin’s performance in the first round has been something of a mixed bag. He has four assists in three games and he’s managed to stay out of the sin bin, which is more than can be said for a lot of the Penguins stars.
At the same time he’s been overshadowed by the Flyers’ rookie Sean Couturier and has a team-worst minus-four rating.
Malkin is a frontrunner to win the Hart Trophy, but if the Penguins end up getting eliminated by Philadelphia in the first round, then maybe the World Championship will provide him with some sort of silver lining before he begins his off-season routine.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 2
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)