Apr 16, 2012, 10:19 PM EDT
For years Henrik Lundqvist has been one of hockey’s elite goaltenders, but one thing he’s never been able to do is win a Stanley Cup with the Rangers. He hasn’t even come close.
That might change this year. For one thing, Lundqvist set an even higher standard for himself in 2011-12. He finished the campaign with a sub-2 GAA for the first time and set a new career-high with a .930 save percentage.
He’s also more rested going into the playoffs than he’s been in several of his previous attempts, thanks to backup goaltender Martin Biron‘s efforts.
Lundqvist was the difference on Monday, stopping 39 shots in the Rangers’ 1-0 victory over the Ottawa Senators. After an overtime loss in Game 2, Lundqvist has put the Rangers back in the drivers seat by handing them a 2-1 series lead.
“We ran into a hot goaltender tonight,” Senators goaltender Craig Anderson said. “We just have to find a way to get more traffic and put a couple by him.”
Of course, that’s easier said than done. So far Lundqvist has been just as good in the playoffs as he was during the regular season. Still, the Senators have already demonstrated that they shouldn’t be taken lightly.
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 0
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 16
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 21
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 62
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 9
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 56
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights