Apr 16, 2012, 10:19 PM EDT
For years Henrik Lundqvist has been one of hockey’s elite goaltenders, but one thing he’s never been able to do is win a Stanley Cup with the Rangers. He hasn’t even come close.
That might change this year. For one thing, Lundqvist set an even higher standard for himself in 2011-12. He finished the campaign with a sub-2 GAA for the first time and set a new career-high with a .930 save percentage.
He’s also more rested going into the playoffs than he’s been in several of his previous attempts, thanks to backup goaltender Martin Biron‘s efforts.
Lundqvist was the difference on Monday, stopping 39 shots in the Rangers’ 1-0 victory over the Ottawa Senators. After an overtime loss in Game 2, Lundqvist has put the Rangers back in the drivers seat by handing them a 2-1 series lead.
“We ran into a hot goaltender tonight,” Senators goaltender Craig Anderson said. “We just have to find a way to get more traffic and put a couple by him.”
Of course, that’s easier said than done. So far Lundqvist has been just as good in the playoffs as he was during the regular season. Still, the Senators have already demonstrated that they shouldn’t be taken lightly.
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 4
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 58
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)