Apr 16, 2012, 10:19 PM EDT
For years Henrik Lundqvist has been one of hockey’s elite goaltenders, but one thing he’s never been able to do is win a Stanley Cup with the Rangers. He hasn’t even come close.
That might change this year. For one thing, Lundqvist set an even higher standard for himself in 2011-12. He finished the campaign with a sub-2 GAA for the first time and set a new career-high with a .930 save percentage.
He’s also more rested going into the playoffs than he’s been in several of his previous attempts, thanks to backup goaltender Martin Biron‘s efforts.
Lundqvist was the difference on Monday, stopping 39 shots in the Rangers’ 1-0 victory over the Ottawa Senators. After an overtime loss in Game 2, Lundqvist has put the Rangers back in the drivers seat by handing them a 2-1 series lead.
“We ran into a hot goaltender tonight,” Senators goaltender Craig Anderson said. “We just have to find a way to get more traffic and put a couple by him.”
Of course, that’s easier said than done. So far Lundqvist has been just as good in the playoffs as he was during the regular season. Still, the Senators have already demonstrated that they shouldn’t be taken lightly.
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 7
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 31
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 25
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)