Apr 16, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Just about everyone in Boston knows the Bruins have to play better if they plan on getting past the Washington Capitals in the first round. Claude Julien sounded off about his team being “too cute”, Milan Lucic has spoken his mind about how things have gone, and now Brad Marchand is saying his piece as well.
Marchand tells Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com he knows the Bruins are capable of doing better and it’s up to them to pull it off.
“We have to be better. We’re definitely doing a pretty good job playing against their line. Part of our goal is shutting down their line, but we have to be better offensively,” said Marchand. “There’s definitely a little more pressure. More things are being expected and I want to be able to contribute the same way [as the regular season].
“It’s a big time of year and we need guys to step up . . . especially with [Horton] out. The onus is on us and we have to be better. It falls on all of us to step up more.”
Considering the Bruins have scored two goals in the series, they’re lucky to be tied 1-1 in the series. The Bruins’ top players have to be more of a force though. They need Lucic and Marchand to crash the net, David Krejci and Patrice Bergeron to be set-up men, and Tyler Seguin to be a sniper.
The Caps are doing more than their part to shut down the Bruins and Braden Holtby has been outstanding, but the Bruins are better than they’ve shown. The typical nastiness we’re used to seeing from Boston that they feed off of has been absent so far in this series. Perhaps a hostile atmosphere can shake it out of them.
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 9
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 18
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery