Apr 16, 2012, 10:00 PM EDT
There were no fighting majors and only one goal, but both teams played with a lot of intensity. After a weak showing in the first half of Game 1, the Ottawa Senators have managed to fight on equal ground with the first seed New York Rangers. It really has been evidence that you can’t count on any first round opponent to be easy in the post-lockout era.
Still, the Rangers managed to earn a 1-0 win in Ottawa and take a 2-1 series lead. Although regular season statistics should be taken with a grain of salt, it’s worth noting that the Senators were an unimpressive 20-17-4 at home this season. In fact, Ottawa actually had a better record on the road.
Let’s get the discussion started.
- The Senators have been using tough guy Zenon Konopka in unusual situations during the playoffs. He averaged just nine seconds of power-play ice time per game in the regular season, but he got 1:03 minutes of ice time with the man advantage on Saturday and another 1:18 minutes Monday.
- Rangers goaltender Henrik Lundqvist posted his first playoff shutout since April 18, 2009.
- There were plenty of Rangers and Senators players on both sides that were willing to sacrifice their bodies to block a shot. The Rangers’ Stu Bickel‘s blocked shot on Jim O’Brien‘s attempt early in the second period might have prevented what would have been a critical goal.
- Brian Boyle has found the back of the net in each of the Rangers’ first three playoff games.
- Discuss: Blackhawks push series to Game 6 10
- Report: Canucks ask Leafs permission to interview Eakins for head coaching gig 0
- Tortorella takes blame for top players’ struggles 12
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 39
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 68
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 36
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- Play Video: Highlights: Blackhawks stay alive
- Play Video: Bickell blasts Kronwall
- Play Video: Toews scores first goal of the playoffs
- Play Video: Howard with a couple of tremendous saves in Game 5
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins move onto Eastern Conference finals
- Play Video: Lundqvist takes one away from Lucic