Apr 16, 2012, 7:21 PM EDT
If nothing else, the Washington Capitals have been a strong team at home this season. They also have some pretty clever – and politically attuned – fans, which you can see in the way they’re tweaking Tim Thomas tonight with Barack Obama masks:
Photo via Stephen Whyno.
That’s some quality trolling.
To give you a little more background on the Obama mask movement, Whyno caught up with the bloggers/fans who masterminded the inspired bit of tomfoolery. Here’s an excerpt:
“We’ve taken a story that already existed and kind of rekindled it, fired it back to life,” said Kevin Klein of the Sick, Unbelievable blog. “I think in Tim Thomas’ head, it was already there. He knew that coming to Washington after he had made his own political statement, it was going to be a big deal.”
If Thomas wasn’t thinking about it, he certainly saw during pregame warm-ups as several fans brought home-made signs and some printed from the Russian Machine Never Breaks and Brooks Laich Year blogs.
“What did Wayne Gretzky say? You miss 100 percent of the shots you don’t take. This was too much of an opportunity to pass up,” said Mike Holden, 37, of Rockville. “We had Timmy coming to town, and he wants this issue to go away, and we figured we’d put it right in his face.”
It’s an amusing bit of grief-giving, although angering Thomas might inspire some spite-powered goaltending. We shall see.
With all that in mind, I must ask. What ranks higher in your fan creativity/trolling power rankings: Caps fans rocking the Barack to mock Thomas skipping the White House photo op or Pittsburgh Penguins fans embracing Ilya Bryzgalov‘s bear phobias with their furry costumes?
It’s tough to imagine the results being worse for Caps fans, but we’ll have to wait and see.
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 7
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 16
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 51
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 85
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (85)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- PFT: NFL want to make Pro Bowl like game show
- PFT: Bucs saw Revis injury as opportunity
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control