Apr 16, 2012, 7:21 PM EDT
If nothing else, the Washington Capitals have been a strong team at home this season. They also have some pretty clever – and politically attuned – fans, which you can see in the way they’re tweaking Tim Thomas tonight with Barack Obama masks:
Photo via Stephen Whyno.
That’s some quality trolling.
To give you a little more background on the Obama mask movement, Whyno caught up with the bloggers/fans who masterminded the inspired bit of tomfoolery. Here’s an excerpt:
“We’ve taken a story that already existed and kind of rekindled it, fired it back to life,” said Kevin Klein of the Sick, Unbelievable blog. “I think in Tim Thomas’ head, it was already there. He knew that coming to Washington after he had made his own political statement, it was going to be a big deal.”
If Thomas wasn’t thinking about it, he certainly saw during pregame warm-ups as several fans brought home-made signs and some printed from the Russian Machine Never Breaks and Brooks Laich Year blogs.
“What did Wayne Gretzky say? You miss 100 percent of the shots you don’t take. This was too much of an opportunity to pass up,” said Mike Holden, 37, of Rockville. “We had Timmy coming to town, and he wants this issue to go away, and we figured we’d put it right in his face.”
It’s an amusing bit of grief-giving, although angering Thomas might inspire some spite-powered goaltending. We shall see.
With all that in mind, I must ask. What ranks higher in your fan creativity/trolling power rankings: Caps fans rocking the Barack to mock Thomas skipping the White House photo op or Pittsburgh Penguins fans embracing Ilya Bryzgalov‘s bear phobias with their furry costumes?
It’s tough to imagine the results being worse for Caps fans, but we’ll have to wait and see.
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 0
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 69
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 63
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)