Apr 16, 2012, 11:02 PM EST
Brian Boyle isn’t exactly the most popular guy in Ottawa right now.
He got in some hits on Erik Karlsson in Game 1, which the Senators took offense to. Ottawa’s Matt Carkner attacked Boyle in Game 2, but Boyle was either unwilling or unprepared to fight, which resulted in Carkner getting ejected from that game and suspended for Monday’s contest.
Oh, and Boyle has scored in all three games of the first-round series between the New York Rangers and Ottawa Senators, including the lone goal in the Rangers’ 1-0 victory Monday.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
“A lot of us can start following his lead,” Rangers coach John Tortorella said. “That’s what he’s doing now, leading.”
He has certainly helped the Rangers in a lot of ways in this series, so it’s not too much of a surprise that the Senators fans booed him on Monday. It still apparently caught Boyle off guard, but he’s comfortable in his new role.
“Honestly, it was a surprise,” Boyle said. “But if I’m the villain to them, that’s good.”
He’ll get another chance to play the villain in Game 4 on Wednesday before the series returns to New York, where he’s likely to get a hero’s welcome.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 67
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (149)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (67)