Apr 16, 2012, 11:02 PM EST
Brian Boyle isn’t exactly the most popular guy in Ottawa right now.
He got in some hits on Erik Karlsson in Game 1, which the Senators took offense to. Ottawa’s Matt Carkner attacked Boyle in Game 2, but Boyle was either unwilling or unprepared to fight, which resulted in Carkner getting ejected from that game and suspended for Monday’s contest.
Oh, and Boyle has scored in all three games of the first-round series between the New York Rangers and Ottawa Senators, including the lone goal in the Rangers’ 1-0 victory Monday.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
“A lot of us can start following his lead,” Rangers coach John Tortorella said. “That’s what he’s doing now, leading.”
He has certainly helped the Rangers in a lot of ways in this series, so it’s not too much of a surprise that the Senators fans booed him on Monday. It still apparently caught Boyle off guard, but he’s comfortable in his new role.
“Honestly, it was a surprise,” Boyle said. “But if I’m the villain to them, that’s good.”
He’ll get another chance to play the villain in Game 4 on Wednesday before the series returns to New York, where he’s likely to get a hero’s welcome.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)