Apr 16, 2012, 11:02 PM EDT
Brian Boyle isn’t exactly the most popular guy in Ottawa right now.
He got in some hits on Erik Karlsson in Game 1, which the Senators took offense to. Ottawa’s Matt Carkner attacked Boyle in Game 2, but Boyle was either unwilling or unprepared to fight, which resulted in Carkner getting ejected from that game and suspended for Monday’s contest.
Oh, and Boyle has scored in all three games of the first-round series between the New York Rangers and Ottawa Senators, including the lone goal in the Rangers’ 1-0 victory Monday.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
“A lot of us can start following his lead,” Rangers coach John Tortorella said. “That’s what he’s doing now, leading.”
He has certainly helped the Rangers in a lot of ways in this series, so it’s not too much of a surprise that the Senators fans booed him on Monday. It still apparently caught Boyle off guard, but he’s comfortable in his new role.
“Honestly, it was a surprise,” Boyle said. “But if I’m the villain to them, that’s good.”
He’ll get another chance to play the villain in Game 4 on Wednesday before the series returns to New York, where he’s likely to get a hero’s welcome.
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 4
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 35
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 39
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)