Apr 15, 2012, 7:24 PM EDT
Penguins captain Sidney Crosby kicked off the scoring in both Games 1 and 2 against the Flyers, a role we’re accustomed to seeing him play.
Game 3 saw things change drastically.
While Crosby was still trying to help his team score goals (he had one assist), the darker side of Sid the Kid came out. During the first period with the Pens falling behind early, Crosby grabbed Kimmo Timonen by the scruff of his jersey, then dropped the gloves and tussled with Claude Giroux.
Instead of shying away from the scrums, Crosby was initiating action and stirring things up with the whack of his stick here and a shove from behind there. In the third period, Crosby was at his most frustrated and even grabbed Scott Hartnell from behind to engage him. Craig Adams stepped in and saved Sid from making a potentially dire mistake.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
After the game, an 8-4 drubbing by the Flyers, Crosby let his hate flow through him sounding off about how he hates the Flyers and Jakub Voracek in particular as Sam Carchidi of Broad Street Bull reports.
Crosby on Voracek: “I don’t like him. Why? Because I don’t like him. I don’t like any guy on their team.”
We’ve been waiting for a long time to see real emotion out of Crosby and leave it to the Penguins’ most hated rivals to bring it out of him. Now Crosby will need to channel that hate into helping his team climb out of a 3-0 hole.
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 47
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 50
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 54
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Panthers re-sign Kulikov: three years, $13 million 6
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him 77
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M 58
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (57)