Apr 15, 2012, 7:24 PM EDT
Penguins captain Sidney Crosby kicked off the scoring in both Games 1 and 2 against the Flyers, a role we’re accustomed to seeing him play.
Game 3 saw things change drastically.
While Crosby was still trying to help his team score goals (he had one assist), the darker side of Sid the Kid came out. During the first period with the Pens falling behind early, Crosby grabbed Kimmo Timonen by the scruff of his jersey, then dropped the gloves and tussled with Claude Giroux.
Instead of shying away from the scrums, Crosby was initiating action and stirring things up with the whack of his stick here and a shove from behind there. In the third period, Crosby was at his most frustrated and even grabbed Scott Hartnell from behind to engage him. Craig Adams stepped in and saved Sid from making a potentially dire mistake.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
After the game, an 8-4 drubbing by the Flyers, Crosby let his hate flow through him sounding off about how he hates the Flyers and Jakub Voracek in particular as Sam Carchidi of Broad Street Bull reports.
Crosby on Voracek: “I don’t like him. Why? Because I don’t like him. I don’t like any guy on their team.”
We’ve been waiting for a long time to see real emotion out of Crosby and leave it to the Penguins’ most hated rivals to bring it out of him. Now Crosby will need to channel that hate into helping his team climb out of a 3-0 hole.
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 3
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 10
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 73
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (77)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)