Apr 15, 2012, 7:24 PM EDT
Penguins captain Sidney Crosby kicked off the scoring in both Games 1 and 2 against the Flyers, a role we’re accustomed to seeing him play.
Game 3 saw things change drastically.
While Crosby was still trying to help his team score goals (he had one assist), the darker side of Sid the Kid came out. During the first period with the Pens falling behind early, Crosby grabbed Kimmo Timonen by the scruff of his jersey, then dropped the gloves and tussled with Claude Giroux.
Instead of shying away from the scrums, Crosby was initiating action and stirring things up with the whack of his stick here and a shove from behind there. In the third period, Crosby was at his most frustrated and even grabbed Scott Hartnell from behind to engage him. Craig Adams stepped in and saved Sid from making a potentially dire mistake.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
After the game, an 8-4 drubbing by the Flyers, Crosby let his hate flow through him sounding off about how he hates the Flyers and Jakub Voracek in particular as Sam Carchidi of Broad Street Bull reports.
Crosby on Voracek: “I don’t like him. Why? Because I don’t like him. I don’t like any guy on their team.”
We’ve been waiting for a long time to see real emotion out of Crosby and leave it to the Penguins’ most hated rivals to bring it out of him. Now Crosby will need to channel that hate into helping his team climb out of a 3-0 hole.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 22
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 21
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 33
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)