Apr 15, 2012, 7:24 PM EDT
Penguins captain Sidney Crosby kicked off the scoring in both Games 1 and 2 against the Flyers, a role we’re accustomed to seeing him play.
Game 3 saw things change drastically.
While Crosby was still trying to help his team score goals (he had one assist), the darker side of Sid the Kid came out. During the first period with the Pens falling behind early, Crosby grabbed Kimmo Timonen by the scruff of his jersey, then dropped the gloves and tussled with Claude Giroux.
Instead of shying away from the scrums, Crosby was initiating action and stirring things up with the whack of his stick here and a shove from behind there. In the third period, Crosby was at his most frustrated and even grabbed Scott Hartnell from behind to engage him. Craig Adams stepped in and saved Sid from making a potentially dire mistake.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
After the game, an 8-4 drubbing by the Flyers, Crosby let his hate flow through him sounding off about how he hates the Flyers and Jakub Voracek in particular as Sam Carchidi of Broad Street Bull reports.
Crosby on Voracek: “I don’t like him. Why? Because I don’t like him. I don’t like any guy on their team.”
We’ve been waiting for a long time to see real emotion out of Crosby and leave it to the Penguins’ most hated rivals to bring it out of him. Now Crosby will need to channel that hate into helping his team climb out of a 3-0 hole.
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 9
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 10
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 9
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)