Apr 15, 2012, 2:19 AM EDT
On Sunday, the Detroit Red Wings will host the Nashville Predators in Game 3 of their Western Conference quarterfinal (12:00 pm ET, NBC). The series is tied at 1-1; here’s a look at recent history between the two clubs.
(Reg. season series tied 3-3)
Nov. 26: At Detroit 4, Nashville 1
Dec. 15: At Nashville 4, Detroit 3
Dec. 26: Detroit 4, at Nashville 1
Feb. 17: At Detroit 2, Nashville 1
March 10: At Nashville 3, Detroit 2
March 30: Nashville 4, at Detroit 1
Game 1: Nashville 3, Detroit 2
The Predators started strongly, outshooting Detroit 13-5 in the first period. One of Nashville’s many midseason acquisitions, Paul Gaustad, beat Jimmy Howard to provide the Predators with the first goal of the series.
From that point on, the Red Wings did a much better job of putting pressure on the Predators, outshooting them 32-13 over the final 40 minutes. However, Pekka Rinne, as he was so many times in the regular season, proved to be the difference.
Although Detroit beat him twice with the man advantage, Rinne kept Nashville in the contest despite Detroit’s best efforts. Rookie Gabriel Bourque did the rest, scoring two goals for the Predators to help them claim Game 1 of the series.
Game 2: Detroit 3, Nashville 2
Frustration over Weber’s shove spilled into Game 2, when Todd Bertuzzi fought Weber 1:36 minutes into the contest. After that point, both sides were focused on the present rather than the past.
After that, the Predators struggles with the man advantage – odd, give the excelled on the power play during the regular season – became apparent. Detroit was tagged with five minor penalties in the final 40 minutes of play, but Nashville was never able to capitalize.
Nashville did get goals from Andrei Kostitsyn and Weber when the teams were at even strength, but they are still searching for their first power-play success of the postseason. That’s perhaps the biggest reason this series is now tied going into Game 3.
- Video: Johnny Hockey puts on a show in Flames win 0
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 0
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 12
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)