Apr 15, 2012, 2:19 AM EDT
On Sunday, the Detroit Red Wings will host the Nashville Predators in Game 3 of their Western Conference quarterfinal (12:00 pm ET, NBC). The series is tied at 1-1; here’s a look at recent history between the two clubs.
(Reg. season series tied 3-3)
Nov. 26: At Detroit 4, Nashville 1
Dec. 15: At Nashville 4, Detroit 3
Dec. 26: Detroit 4, at Nashville 1
Feb. 17: At Detroit 2, Nashville 1
March 10: At Nashville 3, Detroit 2
March 30: Nashville 4, at Detroit 1
Game 1: Nashville 3, Detroit 2
The Predators started strongly, outshooting Detroit 13-5 in the first period. One of Nashville’s many midseason acquisitions, Paul Gaustad, beat Jimmy Howard to provide the Predators with the first goal of the series.
From that point on, the Red Wings did a much better job of putting pressure on the Predators, outshooting them 32-13 over the final 40 minutes. However, Pekka Rinne, as he was so many times in the regular season, proved to be the difference.
Although Detroit beat him twice with the man advantage, Rinne kept Nashville in the contest despite Detroit’s best efforts. Rookie Gabriel Bourque did the rest, scoring two goals for the Predators to help them claim Game 1 of the series.
Game 2: Detroit 3, Nashville 2
Frustration over Weber’s shove spilled into Game 2, when Todd Bertuzzi fought Weber 1:36 minutes into the contest. After that point, both sides were focused on the present rather than the past.
After that, the Predators struggles with the man advantage – odd, give the excelled on the power play during the regular season – became apparent. Detroit was tagged with five minor penalties in the final 40 minutes of play, but Nashville was never able to capitalize.
Nashville did get goals from Andrei Kostitsyn and Weber when the teams were at even strength, but they are still searching for their first power-play success of the postseason. That’s perhaps the biggest reason this series is now tied going into Game 3.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 29
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 87
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 49
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 14
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (88)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)