Apr 15, 2012, 2:19 AM EST
On Sunday, the Detroit Red Wings will host the Nashville Predators in Game 3 of their Western Conference quarterfinal (12:00 pm ET, NBC). The series is tied at 1-1; here’s a look at recent history between the two clubs.
(Reg. season series tied 3-3)
Nov. 26: At Detroit 4, Nashville 1
Dec. 15: At Nashville 4, Detroit 3
Dec. 26: Detroit 4, at Nashville 1
Feb. 17: At Detroit 2, Nashville 1
March 10: At Nashville 3, Detroit 2
March 30: Nashville 4, at Detroit 1
Game 1: Nashville 3, Detroit 2
The Predators started strongly, outshooting Detroit 13-5 in the first period. One of Nashville’s many midseason acquisitions, Paul Gaustad, beat Jimmy Howard to provide the Predators with the first goal of the series.
From that point on, the Red Wings did a much better job of putting pressure on the Predators, outshooting them 32-13 over the final 40 minutes. However, Pekka Rinne, as he was so many times in the regular season, proved to be the difference.
Although Detroit beat him twice with the man advantage, Rinne kept Nashville in the contest despite Detroit’s best efforts. Rookie Gabriel Bourque did the rest, scoring two goals for the Predators to help them claim Game 1 of the series.
Game 2: Detroit 3, Nashville 2
Frustration over Weber’s shove spilled into Game 2, when Todd Bertuzzi fought Weber 1:36 minutes into the contest. After that point, both sides were focused on the present rather than the past.
After that, the Predators struggles with the man advantage – odd, give the excelled on the power play during the regular season – became apparent. Detroit was tagged with five minor penalties in the final 40 minutes of play, but Nashville was never able to capitalize.
Nashville did get goals from Andrei Kostitsyn and Weber when the teams were at even strength, but they are still searching for their first power-play success of the postseason. That’s perhaps the biggest reason this series is now tied going into Game 3.
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 0
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 3
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 5
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 69
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (69)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)