Apr 15, 2012, 1:09 PM EDT
After seeing the way Braden Holtby has played through the first two games of the Caps’ first round series against Boston, you wouldn’t think he was a 22-year-old rookie. He’s looked calm, cool, and collected in helping Washington hold down the Bruins’ attack.
Of course, Holtby got the call in net thanks to injuries to both Tomas Vokoun (groin) and Michal Neuvirth (lower-body) and with Neuvirth getting back in shape and close to being ready to play, the debate over whether or not Holtby keeps the starting job or not was about to start.
That is until Caps coach Dale Hunter put that talk to bed at practice this morning. Stephen Whyno of The Washington Times gets the quote from Hunter professing his faith in Holtby.
“Holtsy’s our goalie.”
Hunter isn’t a man of many words and that quick one-liner is about as good as it gets for throwing his support behind one guy. Of course, Hunter has no reason not to love the kid. Through two games and virtually nine periods of play, Holtby has just given up two goals. Part of that success is thanks to the Caps fully buying into Hunter’s defense-first game plan, as CSNWashington’s Chuck Gormley shares.
With the whole team having Holtby’s back, grinding out goals is the only thing the Caps have to figure out if they’re going to escape the first round. Who thought we’d ever be saying that about the Capitals?
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 20
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 5
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 9
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 14
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)