Apr 15, 2012, 1:09 PM EDT
After seeing the way Braden Holtby has played through the first two games of the Caps’ first round series against Boston, you wouldn’t think he was a 22-year-old rookie. He’s looked calm, cool, and collected in helping Washington hold down the Bruins’ attack.
Of course, Holtby got the call in net thanks to injuries to both Tomas Vokoun (groin) and Michal Neuvirth (lower-body) and with Neuvirth getting back in shape and close to being ready to play, the debate over whether or not Holtby keeps the starting job or not was about to start.
That is until Caps coach Dale Hunter put that talk to bed at practice this morning. Stephen Whyno of The Washington Times gets the quote from Hunter professing his faith in Holtby.
“Holtsy’s our goalie.”
Hunter isn’t a man of many words and that quick one-liner is about as good as it gets for throwing his support behind one guy. Of course, Hunter has no reason not to love the kid. Through two games and virtually nine periods of play, Holtby has just given up two goals. Part of that success is thanks to the Caps fully buying into Hunter’s defense-first game plan, as CSNWashington’s Chuck Gormley shares.
With the whole team having Holtby’s back, grinding out goals is the only thing the Caps have to figure out if they’re going to escape the first round. Who thought we’d ever be saying that about the Capitals?
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 7
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 19
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 17
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 50
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)