Apr 15, 2012, 1:09 PM EDT
After seeing the way Braden Holtby has played through the first two games of the Caps’ first round series against Boston, you wouldn’t think he was a 22-year-old rookie. He’s looked calm, cool, and collected in helping Washington hold down the Bruins’ attack.
Of course, Holtby got the call in net thanks to injuries to both Tomas Vokoun (groin) and Michal Neuvirth (lower-body) and with Neuvirth getting back in shape and close to being ready to play, the debate over whether or not Holtby keeps the starting job or not was about to start.
That is until Caps coach Dale Hunter put that talk to bed at practice this morning. Stephen Whyno of The Washington Times gets the quote from Hunter professing his faith in Holtby.
“Holtsy’s our goalie.”
Hunter isn’t a man of many words and that quick one-liner is about as good as it gets for throwing his support behind one guy. Of course, Hunter has no reason not to love the kid. Through two games and virtually nine periods of play, Holtby has just given up two goals. Part of that success is thanks to the Caps fully buying into Hunter’s defense-first game plan, as CSNWashington’s Chuck Gormley shares.
With the whole team having Holtby’s back, grinding out goals is the only thing the Caps have to figure out if they’re going to escape the first round. Who thought we’d ever be saying that about the Capitals?
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 3
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 23
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 38
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)