Apr 15, 2012, 1:20 PM EDT
Controversy wasn’t solely reserved for the Senators and Rangers on Saturday night — the Sharks and Blues got in on the action as well.
St. Louis’ 3-0 win was marred with a pair of controversial hits and plenty of debate about headshots, concussions and player safety in the National Hockey League.
Galiardi was given a two-minute charging minor on the play, which McDonald felt was too light a punishment.
“If it’s a check, it’s a check, that’s fine but if you make contact with the head, isn’t that a head shot?” McDonald said to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun. “It’s pretty clear on the replay that his elbow comes up and hits me in the face.”
Burns got two for roughing, and once again it was McDonald taking issue with the play.
“The one on Nichol’s just a punch to the head,” he said. “It’s really kind of unprovoked. [Burns] just turned around and punched Scotty in the head.”
At the time of writing, no word if either Galiardi or Burns will be facing supplementary discipline from the league, though it’s possible Brendan Shanahan is waiting to deal with his trio of hearings already scheduled for today.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)