Apr 15, 2012, 1:20 PM EDT
Controversy wasn’t solely reserved for the Senators and Rangers on Saturday night — the Sharks and Blues got in on the action as well.
St. Louis’ 3-0 win was marred with a pair of controversial hits and plenty of debate about headshots, concussions and player safety in the National Hockey League.
Galiardi was given a two-minute charging minor on the play, which McDonald felt was too light a punishment.
“If it’s a check, it’s a check, that’s fine but if you make contact with the head, isn’t that a head shot?” McDonald said to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun. “It’s pretty clear on the replay that his elbow comes up and hits me in the face.”
Burns got two for roughing, and once again it was McDonald taking issue with the play.
“The one on Nichol’s just a punch to the head,” he said. “It’s really kind of unprovoked. [Burns] just turned around and punched Scotty in the head.”
At the time of writing, no word if either Galiardi or Burns will be facing supplementary discipline from the league, though it’s possible Brendan Shanahan is waiting to deal with his trio of hearings already scheduled for today.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)