Apr 15, 2012, 7:36 PM EST
It seems as though Peter Laviolette has no problem with the rough stuff — even when it involves his star player.
“I thought it was great,” Laviolette told reporters. “I loved it. That’s playoff hockey isn’t it? Two of the worlds best players dropping the gloves.”
Here’s the fight, again, for those that missed it:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
This was a rare situation for both stars to find themselves in. According to HockeyFights.com, Giroux came into today’s game with three fights under his belt, Crosby five. Giroux last fought in January against the Islanders’ Dylan Reese, Crosby in Nov. 2010 against now-teammate Matt Niskanen.
Of course, the Crosby-Giroux fisticuffs were just the beginning of a penalty-filled opening frame. Pittsburgh and Philadelphia combined for 72 penalty minutes on 18 penalties, including six roughing minors, four fighting majors, two games misconducts and even a five-minute match penalty.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)