Apr 15, 2012, 7:36 PM EDT
It seems as though Peter Laviolette has no problem with the rough stuff — even when it involves his star player.
“I thought it was great,” Laviolette told reporters. “I loved it. That’s playoff hockey isn’t it? Two of the worlds best players dropping the gloves.”
Here’s the fight, again, for those that missed it:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
This was a rare situation for both stars to find themselves in. According to HockeyFights.com, Giroux came into today’s game with three fights under his belt, Crosby five. Giroux last fought in January against the Islanders’ Dylan Reese, Crosby in Nov. 2010 against now-teammate Matt Niskanen.
Of course, the Crosby-Giroux fisticuffs were just the beginning of a penalty-filled opening frame. Pittsburgh and Philadelphia combined for 72 penalty minutes on 18 penalties, including six roughing minors, four fighting majors, two games misconducts and even a five-minute match penalty.
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 14
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 37
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 149
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 4
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (152)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)