Apr 15, 2012, 7:36 PM EST
It seems as though Peter Laviolette has no problem with the rough stuff — even when it involves his star player.
“I thought it was great,” Laviolette told reporters. “I loved it. That’s playoff hockey isn’t it? Two of the worlds best players dropping the gloves.”
Here’s the fight, again, for those that missed it:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
This was a rare situation for both stars to find themselves in. According to HockeyFights.com, Giroux came into today’s game with three fights under his belt, Crosby five. Giroux last fought in January against the Islanders’ Dylan Reese, Crosby in Nov. 2010 against now-teammate Matt Niskanen.
Of course, the Crosby-Giroux fisticuffs were just the beginning of a penalty-filled opening frame. Pittsburgh and Philadelphia combined for 72 penalty minutes on 18 penalties, including six roughing minors, four fighting majors, two games misconducts and even a five-minute match penalty.
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 12
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 27
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 30
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 6
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)