Apr 15, 2012, 7:36 PM EDT
It seems as though Peter Laviolette has no problem with the rough stuff — even when it involves his star player.
“I thought it was great,” Laviolette told reporters. “I loved it. That’s playoff hockey isn’t it? Two of the worlds best players dropping the gloves.”
Here’s the fight, again, for those that missed it:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
This was a rare situation for both stars to find themselves in. According to HockeyFights.com, Giroux came into today’s game with three fights under his belt, Crosby five. Giroux last fought in January against the Islanders’ Dylan Reese, Crosby in Nov. 2010 against now-teammate Matt Niskanen.
Of course, the Crosby-Giroux fisticuffs were just the beginning of a penalty-filled opening frame. Pittsburgh and Philadelphia combined for 72 penalty minutes on 18 penalties, including six roughing minors, four fighting majors, two games misconducts and even a five-minute match penalty.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)