Apr 15, 2012, 7:36 PM EDT
It seems as though Peter Laviolette has no problem with the rough stuff — even when it involves his star player.
“I thought it was great,” Laviolette told reporters. “I loved it. That’s playoff hockey isn’t it? Two of the worlds best players dropping the gloves.”
Here’s the fight, again, for those that missed it:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
This was a rare situation for both stars to find themselves in. According to HockeyFights.com, Giroux came into today’s game with three fights under his belt, Crosby five. Giroux last fought in January against the Islanders’ Dylan Reese, Crosby in Nov. 2010 against now-teammate Matt Niskanen.
Of course, the Crosby-Giroux fisticuffs were just the beginning of a penalty-filled opening frame. Pittsburgh and Philadelphia combined for 72 penalty minutes on 18 penalties, including six roughing minors, four fighting majors, two games misconducts and even a five-minute match penalty.
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 0
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 13
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 20
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12