Apr 15, 2012, 12:11 PM EST
It’s a bit funny how things work. The Los Angeles Kings spent the first two games of their series with Vancouver showing exactly how to take away home ice advantage by knocking the Canucks around and taking a 2-0 series lead. Of course now that they’re at home with a chance to potentially sweep the series, they would like to show that home ice is something that can be defended.
Unfortunately for L.A. defending the friendly confines of Staples Center is something they haven’t done very well the last two years in the playoffs. As Drew Doughty tells Rich Hammond of L.A. Kings Insider, it’s their mindset that needs to change to make sure they don’t cough up a major advantage.
“We’ve just got to play as if the series if just starting and we’ve got home-ice advantage,” Doughty said. “It’s Game 1. We’re not up two-nothing. If anything, we’ve got to act like we’re down a couple (games). We can’t go in there relaxing, or taking them too easy, because they’re going to come even harder. This is going to be the hardest game for us. We still haven’t played our best hockey. Going into Sunday, we’ve got to play our best.”
Considering the Kings are the eighth seed in the West and they’re taking care of the Presidents’ Trophy winners with seeming ease, getting too comfy is a definite worry. With Darryl Sutter as the coach, however, we’re sure he’s eager to remind them that there’s nothing to feel cozy about. Now the Kings just have to make sure they don’t show up acting like the San Jose Sharks are out there or else doom is on the horizon.
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 14
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 10
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 5
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 32
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11