Apr 15, 2012, 12:11 PM EDT
It’s a bit funny how things work. The Los Angeles Kings spent the first two games of their series with Vancouver showing exactly how to take away home ice advantage by knocking the Canucks around and taking a 2-0 series lead. Of course now that they’re at home with a chance to potentially sweep the series, they would like to show that home ice is something that can be defended.
Unfortunately for L.A. defending the friendly confines of Staples Center is something they haven’t done very well the last two years in the playoffs. As Drew Doughty tells Rich Hammond of L.A. Kings Insider, it’s their mindset that needs to change to make sure they don’t cough up a major advantage.
“We’ve just got to play as if the series if just starting and we’ve got home-ice advantage,” Doughty said. “It’s Game 1. We’re not up two-nothing. If anything, we’ve got to act like we’re down a couple (games). We can’t go in there relaxing, or taking them too easy, because they’re going to come even harder. This is going to be the hardest game for us. We still haven’t played our best hockey. Going into Sunday, we’ve got to play our best.”
Considering the Kings are the eighth seed in the West and they’re taking care of the Presidents’ Trophy winners with seeming ease, getting too comfy is a definite worry. With Darryl Sutter as the coach, however, we’re sure he’s eager to remind them that there’s nothing to feel cozy about. Now the Kings just have to make sure they don’t show up acting like the San Jose Sharks are out there or else doom is on the horizon.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 7
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 3
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 30
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)