Apr 15, 2012, 12:11 PM EST
It’s a bit funny how things work. The Los Angeles Kings spent the first two games of their series with Vancouver showing exactly how to take away home ice advantage by knocking the Canucks around and taking a 2-0 series lead. Of course now that they’re at home with a chance to potentially sweep the series, they would like to show that home ice is something that can be defended.
Unfortunately for L.A. defending the friendly confines of Staples Center is something they haven’t done very well the last two years in the playoffs. As Drew Doughty tells Rich Hammond of L.A. Kings Insider, it’s their mindset that needs to change to make sure they don’t cough up a major advantage.
“We’ve just got to play as if the series if just starting and we’ve got home-ice advantage,” Doughty said. “It’s Game 1. We’re not up two-nothing. If anything, we’ve got to act like we’re down a couple (games). We can’t go in there relaxing, or taking them too easy, because they’re going to come even harder. This is going to be the hardest game for us. We still haven’t played our best hockey. Going into Sunday, we’ve got to play our best.”
Considering the Kings are the eighth seed in the West and they’re taking care of the Presidents’ Trophy winners with seeming ease, getting too comfy is a definite worry. With Darryl Sutter as the coach, however, we’re sure he’s eager to remind them that there’s nothing to feel cozy about. Now the Kings just have to make sure they don’t show up acting like the San Jose Sharks are out there or else doom is on the horizon.
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 3
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 12
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 28
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 80
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)