Apr 15, 2012, 12:29 AM EST
Mike Smith went behind his net to play the puck. Andrew Shaw ran into him at full force and appeared to make contact with his head. Beyond that, I think it’s best if you see the clip for yourself before I provide any further commentary.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Mike Smith didn’t even go to a quiet room under the suspicion of a concussion, so Brendan Shanahan will probably factor that into his decision. However, Shaw did get five minutes for charging and a game misconduct.
The cynic will say that Smith took a dive to try and make Shaw’s punishment harsher. After the hit, Chicago Sun-Times writer Adam Jahns tweeted, “How many people think Mike Smith was embellishing?”
Personally, I’m of the belief that what happens after a hit isn’t as important as the hit itself. Intent and whether or not the player was injured, should – in my mind – take a backseat to whether or not the hit was illegal and dangerous. That being said, having seen the hit, my gut feeling is there won’t be a suspension. What do you think?
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 35
- Mike Richards clears waivers 31
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 55
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)