Apr 15, 2012, 12:29 AM EDT
Mike Smith went behind his net to play the puck. Andrew Shaw ran into him at full force and appeared to make contact with his head. Beyond that, I think it’s best if you see the clip for yourself before I provide any further commentary.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Mike Smith didn’t even go to a quiet room under the suspicion of a concussion, so Brendan Shanahan will probably factor that into his decision. However, Shaw did get five minutes for charging and a game misconduct.
The cynic will say that Smith took a dive to try and make Shaw’s punishment harsher. After the hit, Chicago Sun-Times writer Adam Jahns tweeted, “How many people think Mike Smith was embellishing?”
Personally, I’m of the belief that what happens after a hit isn’t as important as the hit itself. Intent and whether or not the player was injured, should – in my mind – take a backseat to whether or not the hit was illegal and dangerous. That being said, having seen the hit, my gut feeling is there won’t be a suspension. What do you think?
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 69
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 32
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (92)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (72)