Apr 15, 2012, 11:35 PM EDT
Now that the Florida Panthers have their first playoff win since 1997, perhaps the New Jersey Devils will take them a bit more seriously. It’s tough to shake the feeling that they haven’t in the first two games, as New Jersey seemingly went full-speed for just two periods: its three-goal opening frame that won Game 1 and a two-goal third period that fell just short of a rally in Game 2.
Devils head coach Peter DeBoer seems pleased that the Devils got the 1-1 series split as things shift to New Jersey, but he wasn’t very happy about the team’s overall efforts, as he told Tom Gulitti.
“I thought they were the hungrier team in the first two periods,” DeBoer said. “We can’t play 20 minutes in the playoffs and expect to win.”
One obvious area of concern was special teams. In Game 1, Shawn Mathias took a controversial high-sticking double-minor* and Tomas Fleischmann received a cross-checking penalty in the first period, which helped the Devils build a 3-0 lead. The shoe was on the other foot on Sunday, however, as the Devils took the first three out of four penalties and allowed two Stephen Weiss power-play goals to put themselves in an early hole.
The Devils set a new standard of excellent for penalty killing this season, so allowing a couple of man advantage markers isn’t a huge cause for concern. Underrating the Panthers is a bigger one, however, as they could make life a lot tougher – or their playoff run much shorter – if they assume Florida will just roll over.
* – At least controversial to the local announcers.
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 7
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 16
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 40
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 83
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (83)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- PFT: NFL want to make Pro Bowl like game show
- PFT: Bucs saw Revis injury as opportunity
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control