Apr 15, 2012, 11:01 PM EST
Of all the teams that would lose their starting goalie, the St. Louis Blues seemed the most well-equipped to roll with the punches (with the possible exception of the Vancouver Canucks’ voluntary swap, as we’ll see tonight). Brian Elliott justified such a notion in Game 2 on Saturday, continuing Jaroslav Halak‘s shutout bid once the Blues’ more well-compensated netminder went down with a mysterious lower-body injury. The Associated Press reports that Elliott will get the start as the series shifts to San Jose, too, although one can only speculate if that’s matter of performance or Halak’s ill health.
Considering the amazing numbers Elliott put together in his opportunities, Halak’s injury might push Ken Hitchcock & Co. to the best decision to give the team a chance to go deep. While it’s easy to see why Halak’s style seemingly gives him a higher ceiling, Elliott’s positioning and size might actually be a better fit for the Blues’ suffocating system.
That’s especially true against the volume-shooting Sharks, who might just end up having a tougher time against Elliott.
(Honestly, it’s hard to say with certainty, though. Both netminders put up great numbers and each earned two victories against San Jose this season. Feel free to weigh the pros and cons of the two in the comments, much like you surely did in this poll.)
H/T to Rotoworld.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 18
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 36
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)