Apr 15, 2012, 9:23 PM EDT
For a moment, it seemed like Sidney Crosby and Scott Hartnell were going to drop the gloves during Game 4. Instead, Pittsburgh Penguins winger – and Harvard product – Craig Adams stepped in to bail Crosby out of possible instigator implications. In the process, it appeared that he may have tugged on Hartnell’s lush locks, but believe it or not, that might not be the worst result of that exchange.
As Seth Rorabaugh points out, Adams might be guilty of breaking Rule 46.22, which states that a player will be suspended one game for incurring an instigator penalty late in a game. Such a scenario would also theoretically set Dan Bylsma back at least $10K according to Rorabaugh.
Of course, Rorabaugh also points out that the rule is rarely enforced – at least during the postseason. In fact, Evgeni Malkin got away with a prominent example of what could have been interpreted as a violation of the rule during Game 2 of the 2009 Stanley Cup finals but didn’t face a suspension.
In other words, Hartnell’s follicles should be warned because Adams is likely going to be available for Wednesday’s contest. Still, it’s a good excuse to linger on a moment that was strange even compared to the weird series of events that came before it, isn’t it? (Click here to watch the full game again, by the way.)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)