Apr 14, 2012, 9:09 PM EDT
Matt Carkner apparently took exception to some of Brian Boyle‘s attacks on blueliner Erik Karlsson during Thursday’s game. Carkner spent that contest in the press box and Boyle was either not ready or unwilling to fight, but neither of those facts stopped Carkner. You can view his actions below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Carkner received five minutes for fighting, two for instigating, and a game misconduct. The Rangers’ Brandon Dubinsky was also handed a game misconduct and a two minute roughing penalty. Brian Boyle went unpunished. However, when Chris Neil challenged him roughly six minutes later, Boyle responded by dropping his gloves:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Game 1 wasn’t without it’s incidents either and there will probably be plenty of other major penalties handed out before a winner is declared in this first round series.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 0
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 4
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 19
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 33
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 4
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)