Apr 14, 2012, 2:58 AM EST
On Saturday, the Boston Bruins will host the Washington Capitals in Game 2 of their Eastern Conference quarterfinal (3:00 pm ET, NBC). The Bruins lead the series 1-0; here’s a look at recent history between the two clubs.
Leading scorers (regular season)
Starting goalies (reg. season stats)
(Washington won reg. season series 3-1)
Jan. 24: At Washington 5, Boston 3
Feb. 5: Boston 4, at Washington 1
March 10: Washington 4, at Boston 3
March 29: Washington 3, at Boston 2, SO
Game 1: Boston 1, Washington 0 (OT)
The opening game of the series was a classic goaltender’s duel with Thomas and Holtby combining to stop 46 of 47 shots. After a scoreless 60 minutes, Boston forward Chris Kelly netted the game-winner just 1:18 into the extra frame by wiring a shot past Holtby while streaking down the wing.
The post-game reactions probably told the story best — the Bruins poured onto the ice to congratulate Kelly while the Caps made a beeline for their rookie netminder, who was brilliant in his first-ever NHL postseason contest. The hope now for Washington is that Holtby can carry over his stellar play to Game 2, where the Caps will look to earn a series split and wrestle home advantage away from the B’s.
Speaking of Game 2, it’ll be interesting to see if Boston center David Krejci is in the lineup. He was injured celebrating Kelly’s goal when a Bruins fan knocked out a pane of glass…which landed on top of Krejci. While he missed Friday’s practice, the 25-year-old center said he feels fine and should be good to play on Saturday.
“I feel good. I think I will play tomorrow,” Krejci told reporters. “I got a little sore neck but other than that I am good and I’ll play tomorrow. It just kind of hit me from behind, but other than that, I feel good.”
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 4
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 6
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 72
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (72)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)