Apr 14, 2012, 2:58 AM EDT
On Saturday, the Boston Bruins will host the Washington Capitals in Game 2 of their Eastern Conference quarterfinal (3:00 pm ET, NBC). The Bruins lead the series 1-0; here’s a look at recent history between the two clubs.
Leading scorers (regular season)
Starting goalies (reg. season stats)
(Washington won reg. season series 3-1)
Jan. 24: At Washington 5, Boston 3
Feb. 5: Boston 4, at Washington 1
March 10: Washington 4, at Boston 3
March 29: Washington 3, at Boston 2, SO
Game 1: Boston 1, Washington 0 (OT)
The opening game of the series was a classic goaltender’s duel with Thomas and Holtby combining to stop 46 of 47 shots. After a scoreless 60 minutes, Boston forward Chris Kelly netted the game-winner just 1:18 into the extra frame by wiring a shot past Holtby while streaking down the wing.
The post-game reactions probably told the story best — the Bruins poured onto the ice to congratulate Kelly while the Caps made a beeline for their rookie netminder, who was brilliant in his first-ever NHL postseason contest. The hope now for Washington is that Holtby can carry over his stellar play to Game 2, where the Caps will look to earn a series split and wrestle home advantage away from the B’s.
Speaking of Game 2, it’ll be interesting to see if Boston center David Krejci is in the lineup. He was injured celebrating Kelly’s goal when a Bruins fan knocked out a pane of glass…which landed on top of Krejci. While he missed Friday’s practice, the 25-year-old center said he feels fine and should be good to play on Saturday.
“I feel good. I think I will play tomorrow,” Krejci told reporters. “I got a little sore neck but other than that I am good and I’ll play tomorrow. It just kind of hit me from behind, but other than that, I feel good.”
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 9
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 19
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 24
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 40
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 64
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (150)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (101)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)