Apr 14, 2012, 2:58 AM EDT
On Saturday, the Boston Bruins will host the Washington Capitals in Game 2 of their Eastern Conference quarterfinal (3:00 pm ET, NBC). The Bruins lead the series 1-0; here’s a look at recent history between the two clubs.
Leading scorers (regular season)
Starting goalies (reg. season stats)
(Washington won reg. season series 3-1)
Jan. 24: At Washington 5, Boston 3
Feb. 5: Boston 4, at Washington 1
March 10: Washington 4, at Boston 3
March 29: Washington 3, at Boston 2, SO
Game 1: Boston 1, Washington 0 (OT)
The opening game of the series was a classic goaltender’s duel with Thomas and Holtby combining to stop 46 of 47 shots. After a scoreless 60 minutes, Boston forward Chris Kelly netted the game-winner just 1:18 into the extra frame by wiring a shot past Holtby while streaking down the wing.
The post-game reactions probably told the story best — the Bruins poured onto the ice to congratulate Kelly while the Caps made a beeline for their rookie netminder, who was brilliant in his first-ever NHL postseason contest. The hope now for Washington is that Holtby can carry over his stellar play to Game 2, where the Caps will look to earn a series split and wrestle home advantage away from the B’s.
Speaking of Game 2, it’ll be interesting to see if Boston center David Krejci is in the lineup. He was injured celebrating Kelly’s goal when a Bruins fan knocked out a pane of glass…which landed on top of Krejci. While he missed Friday’s practice, the 25-year-old center said he feels fine and should be good to play on Saturday.
“I feel good. I think I will play tomorrow,” Krejci told reporters. “I got a little sore neck but other than that I am good and I’ll play tomorrow. It just kind of hit me from behind, but other than that, I feel good.”
- WATCH LIVE: Washington Capitals at Pittsburgh Penguins 0
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 13
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 53
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 26
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (62)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)