Apr 14, 2012, 2:58 AM EST
On Saturday, the Boston Bruins will host the Washington Capitals in Game 2 of their Eastern Conference quarterfinal (3:00 pm ET, NBC). The Bruins lead the series 1-0; here’s a look at recent history between the two clubs.
Leading scorers (regular season)
Starting goalies (reg. season stats)
(Washington won reg. season series 3-1)
Jan. 24: At Washington 5, Boston 3
Feb. 5: Boston 4, at Washington 1
March 10: Washington 4, at Boston 3
March 29: Washington 3, at Boston 2, SO
Game 1: Boston 1, Washington 0 (OT)
The opening game of the series was a classic goaltender’s duel with Thomas and Holtby combining to stop 46 of 47 shots. After a scoreless 60 minutes, Boston forward Chris Kelly netted the game-winner just 1:18 into the extra frame by wiring a shot past Holtby while streaking down the wing.
The post-game reactions probably told the story best — the Bruins poured onto the ice to congratulate Kelly while the Caps made a beeline for their rookie netminder, who was brilliant in his first-ever NHL postseason contest. The hope now for Washington is that Holtby can carry over his stellar play to Game 2, where the Caps will look to earn a series split and wrestle home advantage away from the B’s.
Speaking of Game 2, it’ll be interesting to see if Boston center David Krejci is in the lineup. He was injured celebrating Kelly’s goal when a Bruins fan knocked out a pane of glass…which landed on top of Krejci. While he missed Friday’s practice, the 25-year-old center said he feels fine and should be good to play on Saturday.
“I feel good. I think I will play tomorrow,” Krejci told reporters. “I got a little sore neck but other than that I am good and I’ll play tomorrow. It just kind of hit me from behind, but other than that, I feel good.”
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 15
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 16
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 65
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 17
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 16
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 12
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 34
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 40
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (65)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)