Apr 14, 2012, 2:58 AM EDT
On Saturday, the Boston Bruins will host the Washington Capitals in Game 2 of their Eastern Conference quarterfinal (3:00 pm ET, NBC). The Bruins lead the series 1-0; here’s a look at recent history between the two clubs.
Leading scorers (regular season)
Starting goalies (reg. season stats)
(Washington won reg. season series 3-1)
Jan. 24: At Washington 5, Boston 3
Feb. 5: Boston 4, at Washington 1
March 10: Washington 4, at Boston 3
March 29: Washington 3, at Boston 2, SO
Game 1: Boston 1, Washington 0 (OT)
The opening game of the series was a classic goaltender’s duel with Thomas and Holtby combining to stop 46 of 47 shots. After a scoreless 60 minutes, Boston forward Chris Kelly netted the game-winner just 1:18 into the extra frame by wiring a shot past Holtby while streaking down the wing.
The post-game reactions probably told the story best — the Bruins poured onto the ice to congratulate Kelly while the Caps made a beeline for their rookie netminder, who was brilliant in his first-ever NHL postseason contest. The hope now for Washington is that Holtby can carry over his stellar play to Game 2, where the Caps will look to earn a series split and wrestle home advantage away from the B’s.
Speaking of Game 2, it’ll be interesting to see if Boston center David Krejci is in the lineup. He was injured celebrating Kelly’s goal when a Bruins fan knocked out a pane of glass…which landed on top of Krejci. While he missed Friday’s practice, the 25-year-old center said he feels fine and should be good to play on Saturday.
“I feel good. I think I will play tomorrow,” Krejci told reporters. “I got a little sore neck but other than that I am good and I’ll play tomorrow. It just kind of hit me from behind, but other than that, I feel good.”
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers aim to solve Hawks’ Crawford 6
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 16
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 34
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)