Report: Daniel Sedin is done for the first round with concussion

Apr 14, 2012, 12:48 PM EST

Ryan Kesler, Daniel Sedin AP

The Canucks have had their struggles through the first two games of their first round series with Los Angeles and Daniel Sedin‘s absence is a big part of that.

According to Kristin Reid of Global Media, the Canucks are going to have go the rest of the first round without Daniel there to help them. Reid tweets that Sedin will not only miss Games 3 and 4 in Los Angeles but will be out for the rest of the first round thanks to a concussion that kept him out for the latter part of the season.

While the Canucks have been able to hang tough with the Kings, Daniel’s absence from the lineup is noticeable and his brother, Henrik Sedin, hasn’t been able to pick up the offensive slack without Daniel riding shotgun on his line.

The Canucks have a lot of questions to answer heading into Game 3 as they try to get back in the series, including whether or not to start Cory Schneider instead of Roberto Luongo, but one of those answers won’t come in the form of Daniel Sedin.

1. gallyhatch - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Bummer. I don’t like the Sedins, but I like concussions even less.

I would much rather se the Canucks get bounced at 100% health.

Feel better you ginger bastard (it’s not hateful if the person making the comment is also a ginger)

2. fourfeatherfury - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:14 PM

“Yeah, is this Jon? Jonathan Quick? Oh, good. Just called to say drinks are on you this offseason. Yeah, I know… You’re welcome.”

- Duncan Keith

3. highlander24 - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:17 PM

I find this incredibly funny.

4. loinstache - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:48 PM

I know anyone who has a fraction of brain activity left over from using their foreheads to type their posts already realizes this, but I still have to marvel at the irony of Canucks fan’s rep as chirpers and whiners when every topic here about the team is flooded with just that. Really just personifying ‘haters gonna hate.

Also it’s fantastic when the reigning scoring leader can be knocked out of the season and the perpetrator gets 5 meaningless games. Just like when one of the greatest forwards playing has his head bashed into glass numerous times without consequence. This season is killing my interest in hockey.

5. stanleycup2012 - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Someone thinks this is funny, and another hates Sedin. 2 classless fools! Daniel is very skilled and does not “chirp” or complain. The league needs more like him. No problem for people to not like the Canucks, but to make negative comments on the player that led the league in scoring last year shows total ignorance! True hockey fans want to be entertained, which is what Sedin does.

• fourfeatherfury - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Nah, he doesn’t complain, he just has his brother do it for him. I’d never wish a concussion on a person, but you’re being a little deceptive.

• gallyhatch - Apr 14, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Hmmmm, wishing a guy a full recovery makes me a classless fool? Calling him a ginger bastard is classless, but I was also making a joke. Go back & re-read my post & tell me where I said I hate him.

Your assumption that I hate Sedin is inaccurate. I don’t like the Sedins. I don’t like the Canucks. There’s a lot of players in the league I dislike, and the Sedins are among them. That doesn’t mean I want to see him injured. I’m sure being the ‘true hockey fan’ that you are stanleycup2012, that there isn’t a single player out there that you don’t like, I bet you love everyone, even Brad Marchand & the Bruins.

Loinstache, I 100% agree with your second paragraph. Shannahan’s inconsistencies are a black eye for the league & it sucks for everyone out there who loves the game (especially the ‘True hockey fans’ like stanleycup2012)

6. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Apr 14, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Done for the series, eh? So are the Canucks.

7. hockeyflow33 - Apr 14, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Why is there a goaltending question for the Canucks? Luongo has kept them in both these games

I despise everything about the Canucks and the sorry attempt at which they play hockey but I’m not sure how you cheer a guy going down with a head injury

8. bensawesomeness - Apr 14, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Players who commit intentional injuries should have to sit as long as the guy is out for. (Keith would still be sitting for his hit on Daniel) Think that’d make everyone think twice before blind headshots, elbows to the face, …slamming someone’s head into the boards…

9. bearcountry17 - Apr 14, 2012 at 2:09 PM

That’s ok, he’ll be back with his team for the second rou… i mean back 9. In all seriousness i hope he has a full recovery, hate to see these types of players out of the game.

10. stanleycup2012 - Apr 14, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Gally, I was reacting to your phrase “bastard”, and not liking the Sedin’s. I did not understand your form of humor. I accept your note. I get frustrated when people make it personal when dealing with head injuries. I had high hopes for Shannahan, but he obviously must deal with what Bettman wants. Weber is a great player, tough, and his actions were not typical, but you can’t do that to any player, especially one of the best. And yes, there are a number of players I dislike Gally – guilty as charged!

• gallyhatch - Apr 14, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Fair enough. In all honesty I was hoping for a re-match between my Bruins & the ‘Nucks in the finals, it could be legendary if they can both make it there.

11. highlander24 - Apr 14, 2012 at 2:44 PM

I will apologize if I insinuated head injuries are funny in any way. As much as I despise of the Canucks and the Sedins I do agree that it would be even sweeter to see my Kings beat them with each team having a full squad, as they are doing as of right now. We are beating them. They are, in fact great players. Kyle Clifford is out with a head injury (given to him by a Canuck) and Anze Kopitar missed significant time last year, including the playoffs, causing our star player to be out as well. I should have elaborated on what I was trying to convey, but I was just poking fun at how quickly everything is falling apart for them. It’s funny that everyday is more bad news for them. Funny for me because I don’t like them and funny for me because I love the Kings. I’m not wishing for a head injury, but if it happens, it’s just part of the game. Us Kings fans pride ourselves on class and we are thrilled to have gotten this far by staying true to that. We still have two more games to win until we are done with all of this Vancouver garbage, so let’s finish the job, and be finished with them. GO KINGS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. highlander24 - Apr 14, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Head injuries are just pert of the game….. Unless they were intentionally given.

13. highlander24 - Apr 14, 2012 at 2:50 PM

*part

14. mervsvikes - Apr 14, 2012 at 2:55 PM

This sucks for Daniel and the Canucks. That being said, the Canucks were 8-1 down the stretch without him and Henrik had 11 points in those games. No excuses.

15. tommytd - Apr 14, 2012 at 3:25 PM

What about Raffe Torres. He’s one of the dirtier players in the league. Who did he play for last year?

16. bigoldorcafromvan - Apr 14, 2012 at 3:51 PM

That is too bad for the Canucks. I wanted them to be healthy and a full roster for the playoffs for as far as they go. I am happy for Chicago for having Toews back for the playoffs.. All the stars should be playing for their respective teams this time of year. However I am still bitter on how the league handled the Keith (dirty hit) If that is how the NHL is going to stop the head hits its not going to stop.
    Bitz hit on the LA player deserved a suspension, I don.t know if 2 was enough but it was a hockey play and he did get his head as he turned. No complaints about that from anybody. But Keith was head hunting. He didn.t have a history of dirty hits but now he has a history of one of the dirtyist hits.

17. bleedingteal4life - Apr 14, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Good, twins shouldn’t be able to play on the same team anyway.

18. blomfeld - Apr 15, 2012 at 1:57 AM

“Ta det lungt Daniel” … (ie: “take it easy Daniel” in Swedish)

As an ardent “Canadian” LA Kings Fan who lives in Vancouver, yet holds Swedish citizenship because of some Swedish “beach” from 3 decades ago, I sincerely wish the best for Daniel . My ex “beach” today owns a boutique together with Trevor Linden’s wife here in Yaletown … hence my disdain for the Canucks is partially explained. Please note though friends, that I’ve been an LA Kings fan since 1973 ! (ie: Kozak, Berry, Goring, Vachon, Murphy, Williams, Carr, Komadouski, Harper, Edwards, Nevin, Brown, etc). Yes siree, Jack Kent Cooke was indeed good people ! :) The point is however, that we LA Kings fans should never forget that this fight is against the very “best” which the NHL has to offer … and the Sedin brothers are an integral part of that. Therefore quality writers such as comrade Highlander should take note here, that it’s best to let our “play” do the talking … especially when it comes to misfortunes such as this to our enemies …

Coaches in and out of the hot seat

Top 10 NHL Player Searches