Apr 14, 2012, 10:49 AM EDT
We’ve known all season long that Jaromir Jagr is a huge admirer of Claude Giroux‘s game in Philadelphia but he’s got another young star who he can’t help but laud after last night. Flyers rookie Sean Couturier netting a hat trick in the Flyers’ 8-5 Game 2 win over Pittsburgh got Jagr gushing and comparing him to another former Penguins teammate.
“I don’t know if I know if I know any words to describe his game today. Awesome? Maybe something better than that,” Jagr asked. “I would say he’s our best defensive forward. Age 18-, 19-year-old. Ron Francis was kind of like that. “
Jagr compared Claude Giroux to Mario Lemieux at the beginning of the year and again on Twitter after the game, but comparing Couturier to Francis for the work he’s done in keeping likely MVP Evgeni Malkin quiet so far and in scoring goals makes Francis an apt, but lofty one for now.
With the Flyers up 2-0 in the series and heading back home with a chance to put the Penguins away, it’s tough to say that Jagr is wrong for his compliments. Now it’s up to the Penguins to silence Jagr and prevent him from comparing other Flyers to his former Penguins Stanley Cup-winning teammates.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)