Apr 14, 2012, 10:49 AM EDT
We’ve known all season long that Jaromir Jagr is a huge admirer of Claude Giroux‘s game in Philadelphia but he’s got another young star who he can’t help but laud after last night. Flyers rookie Sean Couturier netting a hat trick in the Flyers’ 8-5 Game 2 win over Pittsburgh got Jagr gushing and comparing him to another former Penguins teammate.
“I don’t know if I know if I know any words to describe his game today. Awesome? Maybe something better than that,” Jagr asked. “I would say he’s our best defensive forward. Age 18-, 19-year-old. Ron Francis was kind of like that. “
Jagr compared Claude Giroux to Mario Lemieux at the beginning of the year and again on Twitter after the game, but comparing Couturier to Francis for the work he’s done in keeping likely MVP Evgeni Malkin quiet so far and in scoring goals makes Francis an apt, but lofty one for now.
With the Flyers up 2-0 in the series and heading back home with a chance to put the Penguins away, it’s tough to say that Jagr is wrong for his compliments. Now it’s up to the Penguins to silence Jagr and prevent him from comparing other Flyers to his former Penguins Stanley Cup-winning teammates.
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 7
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 34
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 147
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 15
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 4
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (147)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)