Apr 14, 2012, 10:49 AM EST
We’ve known all season long that Jaromir Jagr is a huge admirer of Claude Giroux‘s game in Philadelphia but he’s got another young star who he can’t help but laud after last night. Flyers rookie Sean Couturier netting a hat trick in the Flyers’ 8-5 Game 2 win over Pittsburgh got Jagr gushing and comparing him to another former Penguins teammate.
“I don’t know if I know if I know any words to describe his game today. Awesome? Maybe something better than that,” Jagr asked. “I would say he’s our best defensive forward. Age 18-, 19-year-old. Ron Francis was kind of like that. “
Jagr compared Claude Giroux to Mario Lemieux at the beginning of the year and again on Twitter after the game, but comparing Couturier to Francis for the work he’s done in keeping likely MVP Evgeni Malkin quiet so far and in scoring goals makes Francis an apt, but lofty one for now.
With the Flyers up 2-0 in the series and heading back home with a chance to put the Penguins away, it’s tough to say that Jagr is wrong for his compliments. Now it’s up to the Penguins to silence Jagr and prevent him from comparing other Flyers to his former Penguins Stanley Cup-winning teammates.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)