Apr 14, 2012, 10:22 PM EDT
If it were not for the fact that this game went to overtime, the final score might have felt like an afterthought due to all the major incidents that occurred throughout the contest. However, the biggest story will ultimately be the Senators late game dramatics. Nick Foligno evened the game with just 4:37 left in the third period and then Chris Neil scored a mere 1:17 minutes into overtime to hand Ottawa a 3-2 victory. Just like that, we have a series again as things are knotted up at 1-1 going into Ottawa.
Here’s some discussion topics:
- Matt Carkner set the tone for this game by picking a fight with Brian Boyle. Carkner knocked Boyle down and wailed on him despite the fact that Boyle didn’t even drop his gloves. Carkner was ejected as a result, but Boyle would later fight Chris Neil.
- Daniel Alfredsson left Saturday’s game after being the victim of a high elbow from Carl Hagelin.
- Erik Karlsson found the back of the net on Saturday after going scoreless in Game 1. As a rookie, he had six points in six games during Ottawa’s first round series against Pittsburgh in 2009.
- The series will now head to Ottawa, but is that really much of an advantage for the Senators? They were just 20-17-4 at home this season, compared to the Rangers, who were 24-12-5 on the road. This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)