Apr 14, 2012, 10:30 PM EDT
In Game 1, it looked like the Sharks scorers had figured out how to beat the Blues superb goaltending and defense. Well, apparently they need a refresher because they were shut out by Jaroslav Halak and Brian Elliott on Saturday. San Jose goaltender Antti Niemi stopped 29 shots, but it wasn’t enough as St. Louis ended up earning a 3-0 victory. The series is now tied at 1-1 and Game 3 will be in San Jose on Monday.
Here’s some discussion topics:
- Halak left the game because he was hit by teammate Barret Jackman in a race for the puck. Fortunately the Blues backup goaltender led the league in GAA, save percentage, and was second in shutouts in the regular season.
- San Jose’s T.J. Galiardi got in what looked like a head hit on Andy McDonald, who has a history of concussions. Galiardi got just two minutes for charging. Combine that with some of the other plays we saw Saturday and it looks like head hits could be a recurring theme again during the 2012 playoffs. How Brendan Shanahan responds to them in the postseason will be something to keep a close eye on in the days to come.
- Including Galiardi’s hit, there were a fair number of power-play opportunities for both teams, but neither could capitalize with the man advantage.
- If you want to include the regular season, this is the third time that St. Louis has shutout San Jose in 2011-12.
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)