Apr 14, 2012, 10:30 PM EDT
In Game 1, it looked like the Sharks scorers had figured out how to beat the Blues superb goaltending and defense. Well, apparently they need a refresher because they were shut out by Jaroslav Halak and Brian Elliott on Saturday. San Jose goaltender Antti Niemi stopped 29 shots, but it wasn’t enough as St. Louis ended up earning a 3-0 victory. The series is now tied at 1-1 and Game 3 will be in San Jose on Monday.
Here’s some discussion topics:
- Halak left the game because he was hit by teammate Barret Jackman in a race for the puck. Fortunately the Blues backup goaltender led the league in GAA, save percentage, and was second in shutouts in the regular season.
- San Jose’s T.J. Galiardi got in what looked like a head hit on Andy McDonald, who has a history of concussions. Galiardi got just two minutes for charging. Combine that with some of the other plays we saw Saturday and it looks like head hits could be a recurring theme again during the 2012 playoffs. How Brendan Shanahan responds to them in the postseason will be something to keep a close eye on in the days to come.
- Including Galiardi’s hit, there were a fair number of power-play opportunities for both teams, but neither could capitalize with the man advantage.
- If you want to include the regular season, this is the third time that St. Louis has shutout San Jose in 2011-12.
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 0
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 11
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 38
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 95
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (95)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)