Apr 14, 2012, 12:12 AM EDT
Earlier tonight, PHT asked readers who’s the most to blame for the Pittsburgh Penguins’ precarious 2-0 deficit against the Philadelphia Flyers after tonight’s 8-5 loss. If you ask a good chunk of Penguins players, it seems like they’d put a check mark in the “defense” category.
“It’s execution, realizing what we’re doing wrong. We have to execute better,” Orpik said. “They’re taking advantage of every mistake we’re making. We’re hanging our goalie out to dry, that’s for sure.”
Orpik was blunt, yet he didn’t really give much of an indication regarding how the Penguins might “execute better.” Head coach Dan Bylsma provides the headline quote “We’ve got to be a tougher team to play against” to Seth Rorabaugh, but Jordan Staal was probably the most specific when he discussed what might be an important consideration.
“The game has been too open,” Staal said. “They’re a very fast team and they jump on opportunities when they can.”
Staal indirectly brings up an interesting thought that’s been bubbling up more and more lately: are the Penguins playing into Philly’s hands by trading blows? Sure, Pittsburgh lead the NHL in scoring during the regular season, but the Penguins have shown an ability to grind out ugly wins quite often the last couple years. Perhaps Pittsburgh should muck things up as if Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin aren’t in the lineup, then?
It’s an awkward thought, but when you’re down 2-0 via two grueling losses, it’s probably time for some brutal self-assessment.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)