Apr 13, 2012, 11:37 AM EST
During the Stanley Cup run of 2011, the Bruins recognized their player of the game with a vintage 1980s Starter jacket — donated by defenseman Andrew Ference — that took on extra significance when it was hung in the locker of injured forward Nathan Horton.
This year, Boston’s continued the postgame award ceremony — but it’s a little more, how shall we say…metal?
First, here’s Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com with the explanation:
Ference came upon the idea of an oversize chain with 20 links and a padlock hanging off the chain with a “B” embroidered on the locker. The idea is simple: There are 20 players in any playoff game’s lineup and the Bruins don’t plan on any having any weak links wearing Black and Gold sweaters out on the ice.
Chris Kelly was wearing the junkyard dog chain around his neck during the press conference following his overtime game-winner in Boston’s 1-0 win over the Capitals at TD Garden.
“It’s something . . . kind of like last year with the jacket, Andrew made something that symbolizes a team,” said Kelly. “[It’s] a chain. [You] try not to be that weak link. It’s one of those things that you pass out after a game. It’s one of those things that is all in good fun. It just started for the playoffs.”
Next, here’s Ference speaking about the importance of the chain (or “da chain”, as the kids like to say):
Finally, here’s the chain making an appearance on Naughty By Nature lead singer Treach (from the cover of the Poverty’s Paraside, which won Best Rap Album at the 1996 Grammys.)
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans have a right to be upset with St. Louis 2
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 7
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 19
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 34
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)