Apr 13, 2012, 11:37 AM EDT
During the Stanley Cup run of 2011, the Bruins recognized their player of the game with a vintage 1980s Starter jacket — donated by defenseman Andrew Ference — that took on extra significance when it was hung in the locker of injured forward Nathan Horton.
This year, Boston’s continued the postgame award ceremony — but it’s a little more, how shall we say…metal?
First, here’s Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com with the explanation:
Ference came upon the idea of an oversize chain with 20 links and a padlock hanging off the chain with a “B” embroidered on the locker. The idea is simple: There are 20 players in any playoff game’s lineup and the Bruins don’t plan on any having any weak links wearing Black and Gold sweaters out on the ice.
Chris Kelly was wearing the junkyard dog chain around his neck during the press conference following his overtime game-winner in Boston’s 1-0 win over the Capitals at TD Garden.
“It’s something . . . kind of like last year with the jacket, Andrew made something that symbolizes a team,” said Kelly. “[It’s] a chain. [You] try not to be that weak link. It’s one of those things that you pass out after a game. It’s one of those things that is all in good fun. It just started for the playoffs.”
Next, here’s Ference speaking about the importance of the chain (or “da chain”, as the kids like to say):
Finally, here’s the chain making an appearance on Naughty By Nature lead singer Treach (from the cover of the Poverty’s Paraside, which won Best Rap Album at the 1996 Grammys.)
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 31
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 66
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 23
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 25
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 47
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 40
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51