Apr 13, 2012, 11:37 AM EST
During the Stanley Cup run of 2011, the Bruins recognized their player of the game with a vintage 1980s Starter jacket — donated by defenseman Andrew Ference — that took on extra significance when it was hung in the locker of injured forward Nathan Horton.
This year, Boston’s continued the postgame award ceremony — but it’s a little more, how shall we say…metal?
First, here’s Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com with the explanation:
Ference came upon the idea of an oversize chain with 20 links and a padlock hanging off the chain with a “B” embroidered on the locker. The idea is simple: There are 20 players in any playoff game’s lineup and the Bruins don’t plan on any having any weak links wearing Black and Gold sweaters out on the ice.
Chris Kelly was wearing the junkyard dog chain around his neck during the press conference following his overtime game-winner in Boston’s 1-0 win over the Capitals at TD Garden.
“It’s something . . . kind of like last year with the jacket, Andrew made something that symbolizes a team,” said Kelly. “[It’s] a chain. [You] try not to be that weak link. It’s one of those things that you pass out after a game. It’s one of those things that is all in good fun. It just started for the playoffs.”
Next, here’s Ference speaking about the importance of the chain (or “da chain”, as the kids like to say):
Finally, here’s the chain making an appearance on Naughty By Nature lead singer Treach (from the cover of the Poverty’s Paraside, which won Best Rap Album at the 1996 Grammys.)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 13
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 76
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 4
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)