Apr 13, 2012, 11:37 AM EDT
During the Stanley Cup run of 2011, the Bruins recognized their player of the game with a vintage 1980s Starter jacket — donated by defenseman Andrew Ference — that took on extra significance when it was hung in the locker of injured forward Nathan Horton.
This year, Boston’s continued the postgame award ceremony — but it’s a little more, how shall we say…metal?
First, here’s Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com with the explanation:
Ference came upon the idea of an oversize chain with 20 links and a padlock hanging off the chain with a “B” embroidered on the locker. The idea is simple: There are 20 players in any playoff game’s lineup and the Bruins don’t plan on any having any weak links wearing Black and Gold sweaters out on the ice.
Chris Kelly was wearing the junkyard dog chain around his neck during the press conference following his overtime game-winner in Boston’s 1-0 win over the Capitals at TD Garden.
“It’s something . . . kind of like last year with the jacket, Andrew made something that symbolizes a team,” said Kelly. “[It’s] a chain. [You] try not to be that weak link. It’s one of those things that you pass out after a game. It’s one of those things that is all in good fun. It just started for the playoffs.”
Next, here’s Ference speaking about the importance of the chain (or “da chain”, as the kids like to say):
Finally, here’s the chain making an appearance on Naughty By Nature lead singer Treach (from the cover of the Poverty’s Paraside, which won Best Rap Album at the 1996 Grammys.)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 48
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 70
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)