Apr 13, 2012, 7:01 PM EDT
Much-maligned Kings forward Dustin Penner scored a huge goal for his team Wednesday.
The Kings would add an empty-netter to make it 4-2 and take Game 1 of their first-round series with the two-time Presidents’ Trophy winners.
It was a rare moment to celebrate for Penner, the affable but overpaid winger.
And then Darryl Sutter ruined it.
“He can be a whole lot better for all three periods,” said the Kings’ coach of Penner. “You’re talking about him because he scored one goal. If it’s just about scoring, then I don’t think we’re going to beat this team 5-4 or 6-5. I highly doubt that. You have to be very good, 200 feet, everywhere on the ice.”
Penner wasn’t able to respond to his coach’s comments, as he’d already run up the stairs, slammed the door, and yelled something about nothing ever being good enough.
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 3
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 48
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 43
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 55
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 27
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal