Apr 13, 2012, 9:30 AM EST
A commonly held belief is that Canadians outside of British Columbia hate the Canucks. The Toronto Stars’ Damien Cox took to Twitter on Wednesday to call them “divers and fakers” and said that’s why the “rest of country hates ‘em.” The Los Angeles Kings’ official twitter made reference to that belief. After earning a 4-2 win over Vancouver in Game 1, the Kings tweeted, “To everyone in Canada outside of BC, you’re welcome.”
As you might imaging, Canucks goaltender Cory Schneider doesn’t feel these attacks on the Canucks are warranted.
“What’s frustrating to us is when the national media and people outside the city parachute in and form these opinions,” Schneider said. “They take things for facts that aren’t really facts. If you talk to us and spend any time with us, you understand we’re good guys.”
Schneider went on to explain that the Canucks are hated because they’re a good team and it simply comes with the territory. He then added, “Nobody cares about Edmonton so nobody hates them. It’s that simple.”
I guess taking a swipe at the Oilers is a good way to show that your team is full of misunderstood “good guys.” That aside, Schneider has a point to an extent. There are people who will be envious and even angry if a team outside their city is excels. We tend to like seeing the underdogs overcome the odds if we don’t regard the favorites as our team. Still, that’s not always the case and there are good teams that are also well liked.
As for the Oilers, well, given that they are scheduled to pick first overall for the third straight year and with the core they’re building, they should be a pretty strong team in a few seasons. At that point, we’ll see if people give them the Canucks treatment.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 0
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 0
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 5
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 0
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 9
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 6
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 15
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)