Apr 13, 2012, 9:30 AM EDT
A commonly held belief is that Canadians outside of British Columbia hate the Canucks. The Toronto Stars’ Damien Cox took to Twitter on Wednesday to call them “divers and fakers” and said that’s why the “rest of country hates ’em.” The Los Angeles Kings’ official twitter made reference to that belief. After earning a 4-2 win over Vancouver in Game 1, the Kings tweeted, “To everyone in Canada outside of BC, you’re welcome.”
As you might imaging, Canucks goaltender Cory Schneider doesn’t feel these attacks on the Canucks are warranted.
“What’s frustrating to us is when the national media and people outside the city parachute in and form these opinions,” Schneider said. “They take things for facts that aren’t really facts. If you talk to us and spend any time with us, you understand we’re good guys.”
Schneider went on to explain that the Canucks are hated because they’re a good team and it simply comes with the territory. He then added, “Nobody cares about Edmonton so nobody hates them. It’s that simple.”
I guess taking a swipe at the Oilers is a good way to show that your team is full of misunderstood “good guys.” That aside, Schneider has a point to an extent. There are people who will be envious and even angry if a team outside their city is excels. We tend to like seeing the underdogs overcome the odds if we don’t regard the favorites as our team. Still, that’s not always the case and there are good teams that are also well liked.
As for the Oilers, well, given that they are scheduled to pick first overall for the third straight year and with the core they’re building, they should be a pretty strong team in a few seasons. At that point, we’ll see if people give them the Canucks treatment.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 3
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 6
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 28
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)