Apr 13, 2012, 4:03 PM EDT
With all due respect to Elton John, sorry doesn’t seem to be the hardest word.
In fact, it seems pretty easy. At least in the NHL.
Yesterday, the Los Angeles Kings issued an apology for anyone who was offended by a pair of anti-Canucks tweets.
Today, Vancouver goalie Cory Schneider expressed regret over a comment he made about the Edmonton Oilers – a comment related to all the hate that’s been thrown, and continues to get thrown, the Canucks’ way.
Schneider’s theory? Hate just comes with the territory when a team wins.
“Nobody cares about Edmonton so nobody hates them. It’s that simple,” he said.
Which brings us to today.
According to Sportsnet’s Mark Spector, Schneider offered a “very sincere” apology to the Oilers and the City of Edmonton.
Tweeted Spector: “He’s a very bright and astute young [goalie] who misspoke in making an analogy that most would agree with. Said it bugged him all [Thursday] night.”
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 0
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 2
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 26
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 5
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 65
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (86)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination