Apr 13, 2012, 9:30 PM EST
The news out of Sacramento isn’t good for basketball fans in the city, but it could be good for basketball and hockey fans in Seattle.
It appears the deal to build a new arena for the NBA’s Kings has cratered, leading to the possibility the franchise could be on the move.
Now, one potential destination for the Kings is Anaheim, and if it moves there, that would be that.
But another is Seattle, where there’s a plan to build a new arena should investor Chris Hansen be able to land an NBA team. Just one catch with that – the new arena might not be financially feasible without a second tenant, that being an NHL team.
Long story short, the next few weeks could be interesting. There’s been an injection of optimism in Glendale that the Coyotes might soon be sold to an owner (the leading candidate is Greg Jamison’s group) that plans to keep them in the desert. But there’s also reason for skepticism that a deal can be reached.
If the NHL can’t get something done in Glendale, it’ll have to look elsewhere eventually – most likely to Quebec City or Seattle. And if Seattle can only get the Sacramento Kings to move there if an NHL team moves there too, well, maybe that’s what ends up happening.
- Miller’s second straight shutout puts Canucks in NHL lead 15
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 3
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 25
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)