Apr 13, 2012, 12:58 PM EDT
When the Predators acquired Hal Gill prior to the NHL trade deadline, it was seen as a move to bolster Nashville’s defensive depth for the playoffs.
It just hasn’t quite worked out that way.
According to Josh Cooper of The Tennessean, Gill will miss his second straight playoff game on Friday, meaning he’s still waiting to make his Predators playoff debut. The hulking blueliner took a shot off his foot last week against Dallas and has been on the limp ever since.
“I’m going to give it some more time,” Gill said of his injury. “I don’t think at this point I can help the team. We have some good players that can play so I will let them go.
“There’s being tough and then there’s too much pride and at this point it would be too much pride to play, so like I said, we have good players and we can win with them.”
Given Gill’s strengths — penalty-killing and shot-blocking — you’d think Nashville would be keen to get him back in the lineup soon. Detroit fired 37 shots at Pekka Rinne on Wednesday and had eight power play opportunities, scoring twice.
Gill said he’s noticing improvement in the injury and will definitely travel with Nashville to Detroit for Game 3.
“I’m getting better and trainers have been working hard and I’ve been working out staying in shape, so I think we’re getting there,” he said. “You have to be patient sometimes.
“You want to heal right away and get back out there. Sometimes your body gives you mixed signals I guess, and you have to deal with that.”
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 51
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 44
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 55
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 27
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal