Apr 13, 2012, 12:58 PM EST
When the Predators acquired Hal Gill prior to the NHL trade deadline, it was seen as a move to bolster Nashville’s defensive depth for the playoffs.
It just hasn’t quite worked out that way.
According to Josh Cooper of The Tennessean, Gill will miss his second straight playoff game on Friday, meaning he’s still waiting to make his Predators playoff debut. The hulking blueliner took a shot off his foot last week against Dallas and has been on the limp ever since.
“I’m going to give it some more time,” Gill said of his injury. “I don’t think at this point I can help the team. We have some good players that can play so I will let them go.
“There’s being tough and then there’s too much pride and at this point it would be too much pride to play, so like I said, we have good players and we can win with them.”
Given Gill’s strengths — penalty-killing and shot-blocking — you’d think Nashville would be keen to get him back in the lineup soon. Detroit fired 37 shots at Pekka Rinne on Wednesday and had eight power play opportunities, scoring twice.
Gill said he’s noticing improvement in the injury and will definitely travel with Nashville to Detroit for Game 3.
“I’m getting better and trainers have been working hard and I’ve been working out staying in shape, so I think we’re getting there,” he said. “You have to be patient sometimes.
“You want to heal right away and get back out there. Sometimes your body gives you mixed signals I guess, and you have to deal with that.”
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 4
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 2
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 17
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 33
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 15
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46