Apr 13, 2012, 12:58 PM EST
When the Predators acquired Hal Gill prior to the NHL trade deadline, it was seen as a move to bolster Nashville’s defensive depth for the playoffs.
It just hasn’t quite worked out that way.
According to Josh Cooper of The Tennessean, Gill will miss his second straight playoff game on Friday, meaning he’s still waiting to make his Predators playoff debut. The hulking blueliner took a shot off his foot last week against Dallas and has been on the limp ever since.
“I’m going to give it some more time,” Gill said of his injury. “I don’t think at this point I can help the team. We have some good players that can play so I will let them go.
“There’s being tough and then there’s too much pride and at this point it would be too much pride to play, so like I said, we have good players and we can win with them.”
Given Gill’s strengths — penalty-killing and shot-blocking — you’d think Nashville would be keen to get him back in the lineup soon. Detroit fired 37 shots at Pekka Rinne on Wednesday and had eight power play opportunities, scoring twice.
Gill said he’s noticing improvement in the injury and will definitely travel with Nashville to Detroit for Game 3.
“I’m getting better and trainers have been working hard and I’ve been working out staying in shape, so I think we’re getting there,” he said. “You have to be patient sometimes.
“You want to heal right away and get back out there. Sometimes your body gives you mixed signals I guess, and you have to deal with that.”
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 5
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 6
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 72
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (72)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)