Apr 13, 2012, 12:58 PM EST
When the Predators acquired Hal Gill prior to the NHL trade deadline, it was seen as a move to bolster Nashville’s defensive depth for the playoffs.
It just hasn’t quite worked out that way.
According to Josh Cooper of The Tennessean, Gill will miss his second straight playoff game on Friday, meaning he’s still waiting to make his Predators playoff debut. The hulking blueliner took a shot off his foot last week against Dallas and has been on the limp ever since.
“I’m going to give it some more time,” Gill said of his injury. “I don’t think at this point I can help the team. We have some good players that can play so I will let them go.
“There’s being tough and then there’s too much pride and at this point it would be too much pride to play, so like I said, we have good players and we can win with them.”
Given Gill’s strengths — penalty-killing and shot-blocking — you’d think Nashville would be keen to get him back in the lineup soon. Detroit fired 37 shots at Pekka Rinne on Wednesday and had eight power play opportunities, scoring twice.
Gill said he’s noticing improvement in the injury and will definitely travel with Nashville to Detroit for Game 3.
“I’m getting better and trainers have been working hard and I’ve been working out staying in shape, so I think we’re getting there,” he said. “You have to be patient sometimes.
“You want to heal right away and get back out there. Sometimes your body gives you mixed signals I guess, and you have to deal with that.”
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 0
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 0
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 8
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 20
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 44
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)